+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I’m about to start a new build as my IM Nuvo 120g sprang a leak. Im just getting everything into a temporary 125g and will order my new custom tank this weekend.

I want a sump. I’ve had 1-2 in the past but they were awful to work in (anyone who’s tried to fit a sump under a single-door 60g cube knows the struggle is real.

So pending wifey’s approval: I’m running the equipment to the basement so my giant old-butt can work easier.

The 120g AIO basically had the back house the pumps and Chaeto and a lot of dosing pumps hoses. I ditched the skimmer about 6 months ago and never looked back.

So the tank will be around 180g and the sump will be a 150g rubber made tote filled with sand, LR, and Chaeto.

What pump do I use here? I’m looking for 5x flow but I need to get about 15-20’ up (closer to 15’ after I stilt the Rubbermaid trough). Id “REALLY” like the pump to sit inside the tote and not be connected via bulkhead (I have leak PTSD) but I’m not sure what pump that would be (I think I’m looking at a Dart Hammerhead external now).

I don’t doubt it’s been done and can be done but my question is: How do I work the ATO? I’d like it to be a bit finer tuned than just on the water level of the whole sump.

Top Shelf Aquatics

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that elevating the sump is a good idea. I use a danner mag 9.5 and mag 18 for a similar setup but my elevation change is only about 10 ft. So good luck with 15! I would look at fluval SP series. I’ve never had them but looking at them for my next setup.

Zero_Cool

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the reeflo pumps in the past (Barracuda and Dart) and they had run very well. Also look at the Iwaki line for external pumps against head pressure. Not the most electrically efficient but they just run so well and are long lasting.

Internal may be the Mag series as mentioned. They have a good history of longevity but do add heat to the system.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back