Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I have a 125 gallon. I wanted to add an angel. I was looking at large angels or considering two dwarf angels. Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? I know angels are aggressive to other angels so if the two dwarf angels dont work out I also have a 70 gallon one of them could be moved to.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Top Shelf Aquatics

ReefEco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there - it depends on if you have corals in your tank, or is it a FOWLR? Dwarf angels might suit your tank better long term, and I'd look at the captive bred Coral Beauty from Biota. Flame and Cherub angles are nice too. Biota is also now breeding Potter's angels, but they are very expensive.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there - it depends on if you have corals in your tank, or is it a FOWLR? Dwarf angels might suit your tank better long term, and I'd look at the captive bred Coral Beauty from Biota. Flame and Cherub angles are nice too. Biota is also now breeding Potter's angels, but they are very expensive.
Ive got corals in my tank. Mostly zoas and mushrooms

kboogie

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough, in my experience being in the industry from 1987 to 1996 and then as a hobbyist since 2010, I've found Dwarf Angels to be more aggressive towards each other than Large Angels. When it comes to angels and tangs I always treat them like I treated African Cichlids. You either have a bunch or you have one. Nothing in between works consistently. I have a 55-gallon with a Flame Angel and a Coral Beauty. The two constantly fought until eventually there was only a Coral Beauty. I also once had a client with a 180 with 10 different Dwarf Angels all added at once and they were the happiest bunch, basically ignored each other. I was happy he let me explore my African Cichlid theory. That tank had a Flame, a Coral Beauty, a Keyhole, an Ebili, a Lemon Peel, a Midnight, a Flameback, a Bicolor, a Rusty, and a Cherub.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JaaxReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for a Genicanthus Angel if you could. They are mid water swimmers in the wild and are less likely to munch your coral. A little larger, but not like some of the more common large angels. So check out the Lamark’s, Swallowtail, or Bellus. Some mixed comments on some of these being reef safe, but a better bet than dwarf species in my experience.

I have a small Lamark’s (3”) in my tank and it really plays well with my other fish and doesn’t rip my corals apart.

CLICK TO VIEW
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the care for a regal? They are beautiful but I always see they are expert care.
Also would go with harlequin sweetlips (juv will re home if I cant get a bigger tank to fit it), marine betta, purple tang, blue tang, niger trigger and dwarf fuzzy lion.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Im going to get a Koran angel for the 125. Its a six foot long tank. This one Im getting is from a guy with a 50 gallon… still a juv. I will re home him if he gets too big for my 125 in a few years.
I'd really go with the great suggestions that you've been given in this thread and opt out of your listed choices. I get it -- I really do -- Koran juvies are stunning, but they really, really need bigger tanks. And it's not a great idea to rehome fish unless there's no other option -- it should never be plan "A".

Captive-bred regal angelfish are now widely (if expensively) available, and they're much more likely to take prepared foods (and be healthy), unlike wild-caught specimens It's still questionable for 125g, though.

If you haven't seen genicanthus angels, now is the time to do it before making your final choice. Japanese swallowtail angels are stunning, and might be suitable for your 125g. I have a Lamarck's angel, and it's also a great fish to have.

I personally lean toward centropyge dwarf angels, which are beautiful, active, and often the highlight of their respective tanks. I have multicolor, tibicen, dwarf pacific, and purple-masked dwarf angels, and they're all stunning. The tibicen and multicolor share a 65g tank.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really go with the great suggestions that you've been given in this thread and opt out of your listed choices. I get it -- I really do -- Koran juvies are stunning, but they really, really need bigger tanks. And it's not a great idea to rehome fish unless there's no other option -- it should never be plan "A".

Captive-bred regal angelfish are now widely (if expensively) available, and they're much more likely to take prepared foods (and be healthy), unlike wild-caught specimens It's still questionable for 125g, though.

If you haven't seen genicanthus angels, now is the time to do it before making your final choice. Japanese swallowtail angels are stunning, and might be suitable for your 125g. I have a Lamarck's angel, and it's also a great fish to have.

I personally lean toward centropyge dwarf angels, which are beautiful, active, and often the highlight of their respective tanks. I have multicolor, tibicen, dwarf pacific, and purple-masked dwarf angels, and they're all stunning. The tibicen and multicolor share a 65g tank.
Gotcha! Do you think I could get two dwarf angels for my 125?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vox Angel and an Indian Ocean Flameback Angel and they get along fine. Were introduced at their same time. They are in with a Yellow Tang that is more than twice their size. Also the Flameback was in with a Two Spot Tang, and it was fine with it. I’ve had large angels that when they changed to adults, got extremely aggressive.

kboogie

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the care for a regal? They are beautiful but I always see they are expert care.
It can be very difficult to get wild caught Regals to eat. Additionally they can be very shy and bullied by many fish, even smaller fish, leading to stress and illness. Captive breed are much better but tend to be priced very high.

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Regal Angels is great for a 125. They grow really slow.
IMG_9367.png
IMG_7715.png
IMG_9713.jpeg

You can also have a Harem of Flame angels. I love to show off my Male Flame angel nuptial coloration. The longer I keep my reef, the more I like the behavior aspect of reefing. I tend to keep breeding units of fish rather than singleton.
Nuptial male Flame Angel. The second picture is the rest color of my male Flame Angel. As far as I know, there are no other person post nuptial pictures of Flame Angel on line.
IMG_4781.jpeg
IMG_4780.jpeg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back