+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am getting back into the hobby after 5 years or so and am curing some old rock in a rubbermaid stock tank. I am heating and circulating RODI water and started dosing a half a capful of SeaKlear twice a day. I'm currently on day 2, and have made 3 doses so far.

Yesterday's baseline phosphate was maxed out at 200 ppb on my HL736. Yesterday's TDS was over 900.

I have not tested phosphate today, will probably test again in the next day or two. But today's TDS has dropped into the 300s. Is that to be expected ? If so, I'm impressed how quickly this is working !

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
S

sunil6784

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

I should clarify... I'm not asking if the rocks are done bleaching, I understand they will leach for quite a while. I will be looking for phosphate levels to maintain at .1 or lower.

What I'm really asking about is if lanthium chloride would also reduce TDS ?

I'm not removing the precipitate...will rinse the rock to remove any LC precipitate before the rock goes in a tank. In my research, I didn't come across a need to remove the precipitate when curing rock outside of a running system.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what all ions are is causing the TDS readings, but I do not see any likely scenario where lanthanum chloride lowers it by hundreds of ppm TDS.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back