Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any opinions on which coral a koran is least likely to eat? I am wondering if I keep one in my 220 covered in gsp and giant hairy mushrooms if it would wipe it all out or if they maybe enjoy other corals more? Or would it just kind of be a shot in the dark

CLICK TO VIEW

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, angelfish tend to leave mushroom, acros, and monti alone other than picking time to time, nothing that will kill the coral. But its really specific to the fish.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know you’ll need a bigger tank, as it will quickly outgrow that tank? I rescued one, from someone’s smaller tank to my 90 gallon. As soon as I got it, start trying to find a new home for it. It quickly outgrew the 90, and I had a hard time finding a home for it. Even contacted large public aquariums.

Nutramar Foods

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I've heard of anything eating GSP.

Mushrooms are likely reasonably safe, but fish are individuals.

Most risky would be zoas and fleshy LPS.

A 220 gallon seems like a reasonable home for a Koran to me.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know you’ll need a bigger tank, as it will quickly outgrow that tank? I rescued one, from someone’s smaller tank to my 90 gallon. As soon as I got it, start trying to find a new home for it. It quickly outgrew the 90, and I had a hard time finding a home for it. Even contacted large public aquariums.
I understand your concern, as of right now my 220 is my largest tank by far second biggest being a 100 gallon 5 foot. I feel as if I acquire a 2-3 inch koran and keep it in a 220 for 2 or so years it will be perfectly fine which the plan is to own a 500+ by that time or of course rehome the fish. I also would like to add that the term “quickly” in this hobby is never truly quick in perspective to anything besides this hobby, and it would take years if a koran was to outgrow a 220 if ever considering most of the time the fish we keep never reach there full natural size which is what we base a lot of the minimums off of. I do agree with you though but yes I 100% do extensive research on most animals I acquire besides the ones I rescue myself, and I do agree it is best to inform people that such a animal is not meant for most tanks (really none at all but they are getting sold anyways so why not take it and give it a better life than someone uninformed would in there 40 breeder)

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I've heard of anything eating GSP.
Mushrooms are likely reasonably safe, but fish are individuals.

Most risky would be zoas and fleshy LPS.

A 220 gallon seems like a reasonable home for a Koran to me.
Emerald crabs eat gsp, put two in my nano reef and the same day had two emeralds waving gsp around like it was Pom poms munching away haha.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Anyone have any opinions on which coral a koran is least likely to eat? I am wondering if I keep one in my 220 covered in gsp and giant hairy mushrooms if it would wipe it all out or if they maybe enjoy other corals more? Or would it just kind of be a shot in the dark
It leaves few coral alone and will even take polyps off SPS. They hunt throughout the day and are curious hunters often not afraid to give anything a taste test

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It leaves few coral alone and will even take polyps off SPS. They hunt throughout the day and are curious hunters often not afraid to give anything a taste test
well if worst comes to worst I’ll have a built in lawnmower for all this gsp and chaeto I have haha.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back