Kessil A80 Tuna Blue enough for IM 15 cube nem tank?

Reefing Qs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Question in the thread title. My black widow bta is overtaking the main rock in my 45g main tank, so I am planning to move it and the two clownfish it hosts to a new dedicated IM 15 gallon cube arriving later this week. I have read a few reviews of the A80 Tuna Blue saying they had trouble with nems, but they seem to be the outlier in contrast with the success stories.

Opinions on if the A80 is enough for the black widow to thrive in a 15 gallon cube - eventually splitting and taking over the tank?

For reference, currently it is being lit by a Red Sea Reef LED 90 at about 55% intensity blue spectrum only, halfway up in my cube display. I can provide photos if that would help, unfortunately I do not have the PAR readings.

Thanks

Nutramar Foods

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PAR is the issue and your nem will decide if the light is okay or not. The reputation of the light to be inadequate means you should have a new backup option on hand if needed. If it’s not you can return it.
I like my Kessil A-900(?), it provides the proper spectrum and intensity for my Sunburst to thrive. There are many other options but I highly recommend that you get a decent backup in case the reputation of your Kessil is verified by the nem.

Happy Easter

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the a80 tuna blue on my 5g Evo and it is not enough for that. It’s visibly dim over that tank even cranked all the way up. If I had 2 over it I might like it more. I couldn’t imagine that light being anywhere close to enough over anything bigger than a 5 gallon.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
R

Reefing Qs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Seems like I should avoid. I'm looking in to the NooPsyche K7 Mini which seems like it may be a better alternative. Beyond the PAr output I would be buying the light either lightly used or new, which puts the Kessil at or above the cost of the K7 brand new, shipped ($100).

Fapman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the input. Seems like I should avoid. I'm looking in to the NooPsyche K7 Mini which seems like it may be a better alternative. Beyond the PAr output I would be buying the light either lightly used or new, which puts the Kessil at or above the cost of the K7 brand new, shipped ($100).
I have this light and same tank. RBTA loves it

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ecotech Marine
Back