Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kessil 360 X and a new Apex, can I use the Apex to set up the light to the spectrum I want and then remove the Apex and just set the light on a light timer? Will the 360 X retain the settings? Thanks In advance.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Corals.com
OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, I guess I should watch some videos on it, so if I use the App I must have the dongle?. Or again I can use the Apex. I have always in the past, I would just turn the knob and use a light timer, no ramping.
I guess I am trying to limit the wire madness one gets with everything reefing. I got to buy this wire oh you want o do that you need to buy another wire, I kind of like my AI Prime HD's because they are all tidy.

minus9

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone, I guess I should watch some videos on it, so if I use the App I must have the dongle?. Or again I can use the Apex. I have always in the past, I would just turn the knob and use a light timer, no ramping.
I guess I am trying to limit the wire madness one gets with everything reefing. I got to buy this wire oh you want o do that you need to buy another wire, I kind of like my AI Prime HD's because they are all tidy.
Just plug the light into any outlet (not apex) and just use the dongle. I never found it necessary to use the apex to control lighting other than turning on/off a fuge light. Especially a fixture that has a perfectly good app.

MarineandReef Jaron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that the Dongle and Spectral X are the same money, any preferences?
We sell a good amount more spectral controllers than WiFi dongles which will surprise many people. Ultimately both offer the same actual light control it is just a question of whether you prefer to use an app or a wired controller.

Polls say that smartphone control is something people look for in a light however, I can not tell you how many times that I specifically recommend Kessil because there is a wired control option. Many local fish stores, public aquariums, and grow-out facilities would rather have one controller any employee can walk up to and adjust than have an app that multiple people need to have installed on their personal phone in order to make adjustments. There are also many service accounts that don't want to connect to the client's wifi. They just want to set the lights and leave.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Enderg60

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 3 options.

You can just turn the knobs, but them on timers and forget about it. Fine for 95% of people.

You can get the Controller and tune it how you want and forget about it. Great if you want to tune the color just right and set internal timers.

You can get the wifi dongle and use the app or apex to control things and forget about it or not. Great if you want full control on the fly and the ability to change settings whenever you want. This is great for turning lights on full for maintenance, or setting the lighting to that perfect spot for pictures.

Choose your level of "wanna mess with it"

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that the Dongle and Spectral X are the same money, any preferences?
I have both and highly suggest the dongle. The controller does not have a battery for the time, and will lose time and date after every power outage.

MarineandReef Jaron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and highly suggest the dongle. The controller does not have a battery for the time, and will lose time and date after every power outage.
The controller actually does have a battery but I am not sure how long it lasts. I have shipped people preprogrammed controllers and it has kept the time I set before shipping. However, this is not the case for my 10 year old controller I bought with my original 360s so there does appear to be some degradation in battery life.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller actually does have a battery but I am not sure how long it lasts. I have shipped people preprogrammed controllers and it has kept the time I set before shipping. However, this is not the case for my 10 year old controller I bought with my original 360s so there does appear to be some degradation in battery life.
I contacted Kessil over the matter, and the customer rep said that it is normal for the Spectral X controller to lose time and date when power is off to it. Mine has never kept the time and date, even when new.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Buckeye
Back