Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using an Iodine supplement from Kent Marine called 'Tech 1' Iodide for about a year now. The product claims to provide 'Stabilized Iodine, Potassium Iodide, Deionized Water'. Per an excerpt from their label summary: 'Provides free iodide, and timed release iodide'.

Looking into this further online...

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0304420380900031

'An oxidation state diagram was used to study the relative stability of inorganic iodine species in an aqueous system. It is shown that although iodate is the most stable form, iodide may exist as a metastable form in a basic solution. Molecular iodine may undergo disproportionation to form iodide and iodate. Results from laboratory studies suggest that molecular iodine is rapidly taken up by seawater, and hypoiodite is probably formed. Hypoiodite is also unstable in seawater, and may react with organic matter or undergo autodecomposition. Direct reactions between molecular iodine and organic matter were not observed.'

In the spirit of skeptical reefkeeping, if one assumes for a moment that the manufacturer's claim is correct then how might they achieve a 'timed release' for iodide?

I found this article on the stabilization of Iodine in table salt and wonder if this might this be applicable to seawater?):

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15214259/#:~:text=Our experiments showed that when,iodized salt, after heating at

Adding an oxidant increases the stability of iodine in iodized salt

'We reviewed current methods to enhance iodine retention in iodized salt, and propose methods to produce stable iodized salt and to analyze its stability. Our experiments showed that when reducing impurities are removed, iodine remains stable in iodized salt, even when the salt is "wet." We suggest that the stability of iodine in iodized salt can be improved by oxidizing iodized salt with sodium hypochloride, and that the iodine content of iodized salt, after heating at 120 degrees C for one hour, can be used to reflect the quality of iodized salt.'

Thoughts?

Nutramar Foods

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color is the product? pic?

"KENT Marine Tech I immediately provides the aquarium with free iodide. The unique time release system continues to provide available iodide over several weeks. Test kits will not read the timed release iodide, and may not register the free iodide.

Ozone or other strong oxidizers can cause premature release of the iodide from this product. Carefully observe animals while using oxidizers. If negative reactions are noted, discontinue use, and resume a week later at half dose."

So it sounds like it's not involving an oxidizer.

I suppose they could use something like povidone iodine solution to slowly release iodine. if you slowly released Iodine (I2), it would pretty shortly become available iodide (I-).

check this paragraph explanation of how povidone slowly releases Iodine.
"Free iodine, slowly liberated from the povidone-iodine (PVP-I) complex in solution, kills cells through iodination of lipids and oxidation of cytoplasmic and membrane compounds. This agent exhibits a broad range of microbiocidal activity against bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and viruses. Slow release of iodine from the PVP-I complex in solution minimizes iodine toxicity towards mammalian cells."

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color is the product? pic?

I suppose they could use something like povidone iodine solution to slowly release iodine. if you slowly released Iodine (I2), it would pretty shortly become available iodide (I-).

check this paragraph explanation of how povidone slowly releases Iodine.
"Free iodine, slowly liberated from the povidone-iodine (PVP-I) complex in solution, kills cells through iodination of lipids and oxidation of cytoplasmic and membrane compounds. This agent exhibits a broad range of microbiocidal activity against bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and viruses. Slow release of iodine from the PVP-I complex in solution minimizes iodine toxicity towards mammalian cells."

I would describe the color as primarily yellow with a very slight hint of green.

Hmm, I had not considered Providone iodine...

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Povidone-iodine#:~:text=Povidone-iodine (PVP-I,be used for minor wounds.

'Povidone-iodine is a chemical complex of povidone, hydrogen iodide, and elemental iodine.[3] It contains 10% Povidone, with total iodine species equaling 10,000 ppm or 1% total titratable iodine.[3] It works by releasing iodine which results in the death of a range of microorganisms.[1]

The iodine in PVP-I reacts with hydrogen peroxide, silver, taurolidine and proteins such as enzymes, rendering them (and itself) ineffective. It also reacts with many mercury compounds, giving the corrosive compound mercury iodide, as well as with many metals, making it unsuitable for disinfecting metal piercings.[17]'

Interesting, aside from the corrosive compound mercury iodide being formed (which might be a negligable issue in a reef aquarium), I wonder if this product could be used in those cases where one has or strongly suspects heavy metal contamination in the reef aquarium? Like other iodine products, can also potentially help corals with free-radical H202 toxicity from conditions of over lighting.

Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what the timed release material is and I’ve always avoided recommending it for that reason. I do not trust hobby companies to make such decisions for me.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what the timed release material is and I’ve always avoided recommending it for that reason. I do not trust hobby companies to make such decisions for me.

Agreed. I thought that what I had purchased was the typical Potassium Iodide only, but it turned out to be this 'Tech 1' product.

After a year's use what I can say that I haven't had any noticeable coral or other issues (knocks on wood).

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AF
Back