Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at a tank upgrade to a much larger tank, and I've always wanted to have a larger (20+) school of green chromis.
The issue is, every time I've tried groups of them (3-5) over the years, they inevitably whittle themselves down to 1 Alpha Chromis.
Has anyone had luck keeping a school? I'm hypothesizing a large enough school can dissipate the aggression enough for them to live long term.

Is this sort of a lost cause? Is the aggression inevitable at any size school?

1676234207869.png

Nutramar Foods

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do the same thing. I had a small group before and wound up with one as well. I was thinking 19, 23, or 29 to make a nice prime number group.

Zach B

North American Noo-Psyche Sales Representative
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I started with 6 about 2 years ago, down to 3. It'd be nice if they wouldn't kill each other off but it seems likely it will eventually happen. Best of luck :)

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there is a point where the number of fish helps keep the aggression spread out among the group and they actually survive and will maintain their numbers.

Zach B

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I wonder if there is a point where the number of fish helps keep the aggression spread out among the group and they actually survive and will maintain their numbers.
I'm sure it could as well as tank size. Good point

AquaCave Logo Banner

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, it has been asked on forums here. It works for Freshwatr cichlids, but doesn't seem to work for most if any type of saltwater fish.

Zach B

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It absolutely helps with big fish like tangs. Having 3 in a large enough tank is often better than 2

Top Shelf Aquatics

JM302

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I firmly believe if you can keep a steady flow of food in the tank you can have long(er) term success. I'm in the process of testing hourly feeding via an Avast Marine Plank. I'm feeding a cocktail of freeze dried food. So far the they're all getting along - only time will tell though. In my experience, if they're full, aggression is minimized.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frequent feeding and larger numbers of healthy fish should do fine. I think a lot of the aggression people attribute to chromis death is actually uronema causing missing scales and bloody wounds. Shredded fins from the fish trying to itch themselves.

My group of 4 do just fine in my 4' 75 gallon being fed 4-6x daily, and I plan on adding another 5 when it is upgraded to the 5' 100 gallon. My old 380 gallon had 15 greens, 5 bicolor, 7 vanderbilt, and a wide variety of other planktivores (anthias, staghorn damsels, fairy and flasher wrasses) and other larger fish like angels, tangs, and triggers, and I had no losses from aggression in there either.

Fwiw, I started with 5 in my 75 gallon, and only lost 1 because it got sucked through the overflow and I didn't have the filter socks in place, so it went through the protein skimmer pump

Top Shelf Aquatics

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had and still have 12. It’s coming close to the 1 year mark and I haven’t lost one.

I attribute that to my large tangs and lamarck angel. The more bigger and scarier the other resident fish, the less likely the chromis will kill each other off.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I firmly believe if you can keep a steady flow of food in the tank you can have long(er) term success. I'm in the process of testing hourly feeding via an Avast Marine Plank. I'm feeding a cocktail of freeze dried food. So far the they're all getting along - only time will tell though. In my experience, if they're full, aggression is minimized.
I am convinced extra daily feedings for more than one chromis is the answer to reducing aggression. I think they could eat all day based upon their behavior.

Pneumatic_Addict

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keiji Oda is somewhat active on Polo Reef and Ask BRS on FB pages. He’s got a group of 100x in a larger SPS tank. Maybe shoot him a message?

From what I’d guess, his success is probably owed somewhat to the many large SPS colonies (natural shelter) and his larger Angels/Butterflies, as mentioned above.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that keeping a large school can theoretically work, but - as mentioned above - there are a number of things to keep in mind with schooling:

- The number of schooling fish in the tank (I've heard odd numbers are preferred, and the preferred number of fish that I've seen seems to be 9 to 11 at a minimum; the more fish, the more diluted the aggression is between them)

- The size of the tank (for quality of life purposes for your fish, bigger is better - yes, some animals will be calm when shoved into tiny spaces with large numbers of conspecifics where if there was just one or two conspecifics, it would be a deathmatch, but they obviously wouldn't be happy in that situation long-term)

- The amount fed, the quality of the feed, and the frequency of feedings (basically more food = less aggression; and better food = better health = happier, less aggressive fish [theoretically])

- Tankmates (big, scary tankmates that the schooling fish could view as a threat may act as an outside force that keeps the schooling fish focused on not getting killed rather than on fighting amongst themselves)

- The scape of the tank (lots of fish need lots of places to hide/sleep - the more hiding places, the safer the fish feel; line-of-sight-breaks can also help with feeling safe)

That's all I've got for the moment (and pretty much all of it has been mentioned above), but basically - to my understanding - it's a balance of making the fish feel threatened enough by external sources to prevent infighting while also making them feel safe enough (largely through their numbers, the tank's scape, and food security) to not be too stressed. If you're able to strike that balance, you should be able to see schooling behavior (to the best of my current understanding).

OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all great input, thank you everyone! My plans of attack were: large (quarantined) group and frequent feedings. I think I’ll add some more aggressive larger fish (perhaps a clown tang) to keep them schooled, shoot for prime numbers, and plenty of smaller hiding spots for them.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend one of these if you are going to keep a School of any kind of fish. Cuts down on the Aggression. Available on Amazon. I have three, for my various tanks, other than one received smashed, not a bit of problem with them. Great for vacations, too.

Petbank Automatic Fish Feeder - Rechargeable Timer Fish Feeder with USB Charger Cable, Fish Food Dispenser for Aquarium or Fish Tank​

BTW, We had an Auto Feeder for our Cat, only took him a couple of days, watching us, to figure out how to get it to feed on demand.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend one of these if you are going to keep a School of any kind of fish. Cuts down on the Aggression. Available on Amazon. I have three, for my various tanks, other than one received smashed, not a bit of problem with them. Great for vacations, too.

Petbank Automatic Fish Feeder - Rechargeable Timer Fish Feeder with USB Charger Cable, Fish Food Dispenser for Aquarium or Fish Tank​

BTW, We had an Auto Feeder for our Cat, only took him a couple of days, watching us, to figure out how to get it to feed on demand.
Absolutely, an auto feeder is a must with this I believe, might splurge and get the avast marine plank!

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back