View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM 20g fusion.. I was thinking of doing a mixed reef

I recently got a used aquaticlife T5 - 4 bulbs 24" for $150 cdn

What I didn't expect how pricey the bulbs are ...4 bulbs for $100 cdn and gotta change it every 12-14 months.

What do you guys think? Should I keep it or sell it and get a led?

20230119_064908.jpg 20230119_064956.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it. I used that exact fixture for a while on a few QT tanks and temporary tanks. It will grow corals quite well in a mixed reef.

I’d do a combo like below. That will give you a beautiful blue color and pop. LPS will grow extremely well under that as well as some SPS. You can also add LED bars like Orphek’s for more PAR and pop.

Front
ATI B+
ATI ABS
ATI B+
ATI Actinic
Back

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it. I used that exact fixture for a while on a few QT tanks and temporary tanks. It will grow corals quite well in a mixed reef.

I’d do a combo like below. That will give you a beautiful blue color and pop. LPS will grow extremely well under that as well as some SPS. You can also add LED bars like Orphek’s for more PAR and pop.

Front
ATI B+
ATI ABS
ATI B+
ATI Actinic
Back
Oh really?! Nice... did you put the fixture on the tank's glass with it legs or did you hang it? Wasn't sure on the par power having the light close to the water would be too much

Heard that i can hang it but no clue on where it suppse to hang from.

Im not sure if able to add LED bar because the fixture pretty much cover the whole display dimension except like maybe a little over an inch depth
Bulb cost was the driver for people to switch to Less, the something happened along the way, people were buying new units in about 3 years, so dollar for dollar it becomes a break even. I would keep the T5 until you figure it is time.
Yeah didn't realize the bulbs was that pricey beforehand

I guess T5 and LED have the similar price destination it just that LED, pay all upfront and T5 cheap start but add up over time with the new bulbs cost

BRS

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulbs will last 18 months no problem if run for 8 hours per day and that fixture has cooling. I like replacing my bulbs. It's like I get a brand new light. Keep it!
Yes, I also stagger replace my bulbs every 18 months

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those bulbs will last 18 months no problem if run for 8 hours per day and that fixture has cooling. I like replacing my bulbs. It's like I get a brand new light. Keep it!
Ahh ok...someone told me to change bulb every 12-14 months....I guess it longer than I expected

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it!

Just remember that LED loose par as time passes. So a LED unit will need to be replaced sometime down the road
And t5 ballasts, after a while, also break down and need replacing. LED will cost cheaper over the long run, but I wouldnt replace this now as you already have it. Dont get me wrong though I love t5 lighting especially for the flat, even par and they look even better with just 1 or 2, 450-470nm blue led strips.

OP
OP
T

The Deaf Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And t5 ballasts, after a while, also break down and need replacing. LED will cost cheaper over the long run, but I wouldnt replace this now as you already have it. Dont get me wrong though I love t5 lighting especially for the flat, even par and they look even better with just 1 or 2, 450-470nm blue led strips.
I have no problem on selling the fixture and get my money back for what I paid for

If LED cheaper overall long term price and performance wise

BRS

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt say you need to sell at all, but if you want that crazy fluorescent coloration and a more blue looking tank as a result than you might want to look into it. T5 will give little to no shimmer and not too much fluorescence, but is the best blanket of even par for lighting corals. It really all depends on what your preferences are.
If you wanted a cheap and still nice looking setup with bars I would go 1x either orphek reef day, quanta reefcrest, or ai blade coral grow and 1x aliexpress 470nm blue strip.
A little more expensive would be x2 strips either orphek, quanta, or ai. 21ledusa is also an option but I know less about them, so recommend them less than the others

Strips are better for a narrow and longer tank than pendant and will cost a lot less. Ai prime, smatfarms or noopsyche will either give you a lot of light spill or not corver the edges at 24inch with just 1 light and will be a lot more expensive.

Let me know if you need any links just to check them out. Always good to have options

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I must have lucked out! I have a 6 light Tek Light T5 from 2012 and a 4 light ATI T5 from 2016...haven't had my ballasts go out on me....knock on wood :slightly-smiling-face:

Top Shelf Aquatics

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Led fixtures last 3-5 years, they cost more overtime than t5, t5 is superior
I think this is very much on the minimal end of useable lifespan and only if there was not so great cooling. A lot of debate on how long they will actually last and will probably vary the most by what brand and model as they all have different heatsinks and cooling which will effect led longevity

At $140 for a quanta pro (or orphek during any sale) and $41.50 for the 470nm aliexpress strip, it would be hard to beat price to performance tbh.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back