Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have gotten to a point with my reef where there is a consistent alkalinity drop predictable even I am wonder which alk option is better for my situation.

I'm using about .2 all over a 24hour period and not much calcium (this is why I ask) In fact my calcium is high still in the 480's I have been allowing it to come down naturally (increasingly so since I got my nutrients in check)

From what I understand kalkwasser will add alkalinity and calcium to the water where soda ash only seems to effect the alkalinity.

I'm leaning towards a doser with soda ash and dividing the lump add I do ever 3 days over the course of a few days to level it out. I do 40ml at 8.0 to raise It to 8.5-8.6. so if I do say 10 ml a day this should make my alkalinity stabilize somewhere between those two numbers.

I presume I can do the same with kalkwasser but I don't want to raise the calcium at this time.

Thank you in advance
Joe

Top Shelf Aquatics

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have gotten to a point with my reef where there is a consistent alkalinity drop predictable even I am wonder which alk option is better for my situation.

I'm using about .2 all over a 24hour period and not much calcium (this is why I ask) In fact my calcium is high still in the 480's I have been allowing it to come down naturally (increasingly so since I got my nutrients in check)

From what I understand kalkwasser will add alkalinity and calcium to the water where soda ash only seems to effect the alkalinity.

I'm leaning towards a doser with soda ash and dividing the lump add I do ever 3 days over the course of a few days to level it out. I do 40ml at 8.0 to raise It to 8.5-8.6. so if I do say 10 ml a day this should make my alkalinity stabilize somewhere between those two numbers.

I presume I can do the same with kalkwasser but I don't want to raise the calcium at this time.

Thank you in advance
Joe
Use the soda ash if you dont want to add calcium.

Both will raise PH with use so if you arent fighting low PH below 8, you can use sodium bicarbonate instead (baking soda)

Be aware your calcium and magnesium will need to be checked and kept in range while you are dosing alk.

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the soda ash if you dont want to add calcium.

Both will raise PH with use so if you arent fighting low PH below 8, you can use sodium bicarbonate instead (baking soda)

Be aware your calcium and magnesium will need to be checked and kept in range while you are dosing alk.
I have the trident so I get 4 alk tests and 2 calc mag tests daily.
Ph falls to 8.0-.15 on average at night and up to 8.25-8.35 mid day. Such a small amount added I don't think will do dangerous swings in ph.

Ty for the reply

AS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back