KALK Stirring advice

JCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone! Today I’m looking for some help with my new Bubble Magus KA150 kalk stirrer. As usual nothing comes with directions these days so here I am reaching out to my fellow reef keepers. I hav e it all hooked up and dosing 1.7L through out the day and mixing 1cup kalk 4 times a day for 2 minutes not knowing how much kalk to add because there’s no directions. I’m not seeing a bump in my PH which always runs a little to low between 7.8 and 8.0 . My Alk is a little too high for my liking at 10 . So far my sump level is staying right about where it needs to be with the addition of 1.7L of liquid. What should I do ? Add more KALK ? Don’t want to spike the ALK any higher and I’ve already ran a tube outside from my skimmer to try and boost my PH . Thanks in advance for any advice to help!!

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? I’m running an Avast Marine K1 and put 1/2 cup of kalk in every 21 days.
I dose about the same amount that you do, but only during lights off time period, and my system is about 85 total gallons.1 cup of Kalk will last a decent amount of time as long as it’s not precipitating out. Check out this Kalkulator for reference…

OP
OP
J

JCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey , my tank is 160 gallons and a 40 sump. I wonder if my I should add like another 1/2 cup ? I don’t want to spike my alk any higher. I’ll check out that calculator. Thanks bud !

OP
OP
J

JCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey , my tank is 160 gallons and a 40 sump. I wonder if my I should add like another 1/2 cup ? I don’t want to spike my alk any higher. I’ll check out that calculator. Thanks bud !
Hey I like that kalkulator ! Although it says than a half cup? Maybe I’m not doing it correctly?

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often are you adding kalk now? I don’t see it hurting anything to add more kalk, but if you’ve done it recently I don’t think it will benefit at all in the short term. Fully saturated limewater is 2 tsp per gallon, so a full cup will get, in theory setting aside any stirrer limitations for full saturation/12.4 PH, 24 gallons of limewater, if I’m mathing correctly.

And to your question, if you’re adding a 1/2 cup, that should equate to 24 tsp meaning 12 gallons of limewater.

Lots of reports of less than fully saturated through a stirrer however, and the best way to check saturation is to measure the PH of the effluent, or using a conductivity probe (better)

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I’m getting for a 200 gallon system total, wanting to dose 1/2 gallon daily… .3 cups for a 14 day supply and .6 cups for a 30 day supply.

I do the 30 day supply but empty/refill at 21 days.

IMG_8517.png

OP
OP
J

JCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I’m getting for a 200 gallon system total, wanting to dose 1/2 gallon daily… .3 cups for a 14 day supply and .6 cups for a 30 day supply.

I do the 30 day supply but empty/refill at 21 days.

IMG_8517.png
Well I just set the stirrer up yesterday for the first time and just kinda guessed how much kalk to start with after watching a couple videos on YouTube. Good to know adding more won’t hurt anything though if I add another 1/2 cup. Guess I’ll keep an eye on my sump level and Alk and just tweak it as needed.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back