Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used kalkwasser for many years but never kalk slurry. After watching a few videos on the subject I decided to give it a try to raise my pH. My system is about 550 gallons and I drip the slurry into the overflow of the sump at 0.2 ml per minute. It worked really well bringing my pH up to 8.3 which I have never been able to achieve before. However now there is a problem. There is a lot of precipitation on all the pumps in the system. Along with that I'm also confused that my Alk has not risen with the extra kalk dosing. It's clearly precipitating out. The question is why? I'm dosing in a high flow area. If the pumps in the sump alone had precipitation, I would figure I'm dosing too fast with not enough flow. But it's all the pumps in the whole system. My powerheads are seizing up a week after cleaning. I use soda ash in my alk 2 part. Could that be part of the issue? Alk is presently at 8.4 with Trident and 9.4 with Hanna.

BRS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk slurry is super potent and nearly impossible to control the addition unless you manually make up every dose.

you are just adding too much, IMO.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back