Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it interesting that Orphek released the OSix around the same time that AI put the Blades on the market. I’ve been toggling in my head for about 6 months or so removing my Hydra 64HD’s and doing an LED bar only lighting system, and it seems like it may be a good time to explore this. Would be good information to see how an Orphek vs AI setup would stack up to each other. I’ve watched a few YouTube videos on the Blades, and an LFS is speaking very highly of them. I currently have 2 of the Orphek Blue Plus, but the Blades seem better.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dual AI 32's and just added a single Quanta Meso Blue 36" and it was the best decision ever. Increased my par by 100 just turning it on.

I would just add bars and keep the 64's
I do have 2 of the OR3 90’s along with my 64’s. I wish I went with the 120’s for better coverage on the sides of the tank.

Corals.com

Typhon

Force of Nature
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just picked up 2x AI Blade Grows to go with my Kessil Ap9x. I replaced my OR3. The Blades do have better coverage and I can control spectrum and intensity. And when I ramp up the AI blades, I can pretty much match the OR3 par rating.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up 2x AI Blade Grows to go with my Kessil Ap9x. I replaced my OR3. The Blades do have better coverage and I can control spectrum and intensity. And when I ramp up the AI blades, I can pretty much match the OR3 par rating.
Did you consider the Glows? I feel like they may be too purple to supplement main lighting, but would be good if you were to alternate Glows/Grows as a Blade only system..,

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have 2 of the OR3 90’s along with my 64’s. I wish I went with the 120’s for better coverage on the sides of the tank.
$ ft was to long for my hood why i choose the 36" I like my stiff to look clean. So i like the look of dual Hydras (with shades) and a light bar behind my open hood. Those blades are ugly and dont really like what im hearing from the posts. They sound very over priced for what they are.

I think the Orpheks/Quanta's make the reef tank look awesome. The colors you get out of the corals rivals T5's.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$ ft was to long for my hood why i choose the 36" I like my stiff to look clean. So i like the look of dual Hydras (with shades) and a light bar behind my open hood. Those blades are ugly and dont really like what im hearing from the posts. They sound very over priced for what they are.

I think the Orpheks/Quanta's make the reef tank look awesome. The colors you get out of the corals rivals T5's.
I’m not a BRS fan, but they recently put out a very good video on LED coverage. Don’t know if you’ve seen it or not. That said, I’m not too sure they are overpriced when you look at what they actually are compared to the Orpheks. But also, with the OSix I feel that is the equalizer in an LED bar only system, which is really what I was interested in pursuing…

Typhon

Force of Nature
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did you consider the Glows? I feel like they may be too purple to supplement main lighting, but would be good if you were to alternate Glows/Grows as a Blade only system..,
I thought about the glows instead of the grows, but I wanted a nice spread for growth and since my kessil spectrum can be dialed pretty blue. I went with the grows. Also, the price was factor. The glows are good deal more.

I am guessing AI integrated more UV Led into the light.

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a BRS fan, but they recently put out a very good video on LED coverage. Don’t know if you’ve seen it or not. That said, I’m not too sure they are overpriced when you look at what they actually are compared to the Orpheks. But also, with the OSix I feel that is the equalizer in an LED bar only system, which is really what I was interested in pursuing…
No i stopped watching BRS videos after the microbiome (which was a decent series).

I just think what the bars do compared to the cost has always been impressive. Now you compare the same size bar to those blades it will be 2-3x the cost. When the blades came out i think most thought they would be more cost effective. Then i saw the price. I would rather have Radions.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i stopped watching BRS videos after the microbiome (which was a decent series).

I just think what the bars do compared to the cost has always been impressive. Now you compare the same size bar to those blades it will be 2-3x the cost. When the blades came out i think most thought they would be more cost effective. Then i saw the price. I would rather have Radions.
Oh I definitely thought the price was a bit outrageous on the Blades. If they were price point comparable to the OR’s I think it would be a much different conversation. But the Blades don’t need an external controller, though I still don’t think that’s a price equalizer.

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I definitely thought the price was a bit outrageous on the Blades. If they were price point comparable to the OR’s I think it would be a much different conversation. But the Blades don’t need an external controller, though I still don’t think that’s a price equalizer.
Im an AI fan. I have the hydras and neros running my tank. Then when the blades came out i was gonna do what i did with my Quanta bar but $570. is just laughable. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

Typhon

Force of Nature
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree the price was a hard pill to swallow. Even the grow 30" units ran me $240 each.

But the spread is hard to beat. My old OR3 with reflectors gave my tank a number of shaded spots. Even with the Kessil at the center. Mostly gone now with the Blades.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Frag Farm
Back