Just picked up a Derasa, first clam

bobnicaragua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a little Derasa to my SPS tank. It’s under halide dominant lighting at a little above 300 par.

It opened immediately and appears happy.
Nothing is picking at it, but there is no growth ring.

This is my first clam, but honestly I wish I had gone for something more colorful after seeing the pics on this forum!

IMG_1640.jpeg

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in the tank?
Give it sometime to settle, they can have a beautiful orange color to the from a top down under whites. Also fast growers and reach an impressive size

OP
OP
bobnicaragua

bobnicaragua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in the tank?
Give it sometime to settle, they can have a beautiful orange color to the from a top down under whites. Also fast growers and reach an impressive size
Only been in the tank for about 24 hours. It was under 200 par from blue Radions at the LFS. It is peach colored from the top. Do clams color up once they settle in and start growing?

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've definitely seen changes in color as they grow and when they are unhappy.
I had to do a blackout for Dino’s once and all my clams colored brown and were just less vibrant and bright but after a while they came back and were brighter and richer in color.
By no means am I saying it will go from orange to green or something like that, but it should brighten up and become a more rich vibrant color as it settles and grows

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Give it about a week and you should start to see new growth on the shell, especially at this size. You have more than enough quality light for it to take off, just needs to be in right conditions. I find most places that sell clams, don't actually keep them in optimal conditions for growth, which really sucks.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a nice derasa! I'm sure it will love the MH. And that's what derasa's look like, FWIW I think you got a nice one. Derasas the choice is mostly more stripes (like yours) or fewer stripes, more like spots or dashes. Color is less a thing with derasas, the rim being the exception and yours looks like it'll get a really nice rim especially from top-down. Maximas, croceas are really where the color comes in, squamosa have colors too but less of a range than the others (and gigas to a certain degree). So congrats on a nice derasa, and definitely add a few other species as you get the chance!

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a little Derasa to my SPS tank. It’s under halide dominant lighting at a little above 300 par.

It opened immediately and appears happy.
Nothing is picking at it, but there is no growth ring.

This is my first clam, but honestly I wish I had gone for something more colorful after seeing the pics on this forum!

IMG_1640.jpeg
As far as derasa's go, that's an beauty! Have you tried looking/photographing it from the top? Incredibly beautiful if watched from the top :D Also a solid choice for a first clam, more resilient than most other species.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back