Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had these pop up in my old tank, though more flower like with a small white center. This pic is tank from my current tank, in a corner with lots of light. I'm more than certain they are not harmful, but I am curious if anyone can identify them. They are tiny, with an overall size of a pinky nail or less, and are translucent except for the center and ends.

Screenshot_20230210_183535_Gallery.jpg

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that they are a hydroid. Not sure if this one is transient or a problem, many kinds out there and some create long term problems if the overrun a tank. If you had them before and they were not a problem they seem to be around but hopefully they will not explode. I have not had them like Aiptasia and AEFW, the latter is a huge problem, I have had both and would guess your visitor is going to remain safe and perhaps disappear, if I have had hydroids mine went away by themselves so I don’t remember it never saw them become a problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

humbletumble

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that they are a hydroid. Not sure if this one is transient or a problem, many kinds out there and some create long term problems if the overrun a tank. If you had them before and they were not a problem they seem to be around but hopefully they will not explode. I have not had them like Aiptasia and AEFW, the latter is a huge problem, I have had both and would guess your visitor is going to remain safe and perhaps disappear, if I have had hydroids mine went away by themselves so I don’t remember it never saw them become a problem.
Great info!
That seems like what these are.
Is it a problem to just wipe them off and let the filter take care of them?
Or should I just leave them be?
They were never a problem before, so that's a plus.

Appreciate the info!

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back