Just casually loosing 30 Torch colonies :(

Opm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a shocker, I order corals from Indonesia for a small online business in the uk & my last shipment wasn’t packed great but loosing all torches they were fine for 2/3 days then heads started dying and guessing polluting the water and as a knock on killing of more torches it’s even effected my hammers that have been in tank 3 yrs, I moved some of the torches to other tanks but same fate , affecting nothing else … gonis all fine and fungia… I’m just at a loss , water perams before arrival & shortly after noticing the issue , Temp 77f, salinity 1.0255, mag 1450, calc 435, nitrate 15 , phosphate 0.04 , KH 8.8 ph 8.3

Any insight appreciated

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did they look like leading up to them dying?
could be BJD or some other infection spreading quickly

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something that happens a lot when you get corals direct from the ocean (or mericultured) and plop them in a synthetic, somewhat sterile environment (our tanks). The risk is huge on both sides. You run the risk of introducing something to your tank or not having the proper conditions that the ocean provides.

When people get corals like that, there's usually a protocol of 6-18 months of acclimation and observation before introducing them to tanks with well established corals. Sometimes people get lucky but most of the time die off prevails.

You took a big risk, and it seems it didn't pay off this time.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issue here, found out there were infested with polyclad flat worms. Learned my lesson, must qt and dip for a few months because if they had any eggs on them they will come back even if you dipped once

OP
OP
Opm

Opm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did they look like leading up to them dying?
could be BJD or some other infection spreading quickly
Absolutely perfect the first 2/3 days, they were held up at Heathrow a extra 6hrs due to a radiation detection on the plane but they remained a good temperature , previous exporters normally have large polystyrene attached to base to stop heads getting damaged , these were loose in bags but still shocked at total failure,

Attachments

• IMG_4116.jpeg
    IMG_4116.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4115.jpeg
    IMG_4115.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4114.jpeg
    IMG_4114.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Opm

Opm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something that happens a lot when you get corals direct from the ocean (or mericultured) and plop them in a synthetic, somewhat sterile environment (our tanks). The risk is huge on both sides. You run the risk of introducing something to your tank or not having the proper conditions that the ocean provides.

When people get corals like that, there's usually a protocol of 6-18 months of acclimation and observation before introducing them to tanks with well established corals. Sometimes people get lucky but most of the time die off prevails.

You took a big risk, and it seems it didn't pay off this time.
Hasn’t been a problem with the previous series 6 shipments , that’s why I find it strange, I’m guessing the prolonged stay at the airport increased stress which left them susceptible to bjd

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely perfect the first 2/3 days, they were held up at Heathrow a extra 6hrs due to a radiation detection on the plane but they remained a good temperature , previous exporters normally have large polystyrene attached to base to stop heads getting damaged , these were loose in bags but still shocked at total failure,
i would do a big water change or a couple smaller ones and inspect the pieces that are still alive to try and see if there’s anything on them

OP
OP
Opm

Opm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would do a big water change or a couple smaller ones and inspect the pieces that are still alive to try and see if there’s anything on them
Cheers buddy done my second 50 litre change today on 4 tanks , but I’m defo thinking BJD as you previously said , it’s just been so aggressive

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers buddy done my second 50 litre change today on 4 tanks , but I’m defo thinking BJD as you previously said , it’s just been so aggressive
if you have the supplies you could try the KFC dip method on them
especially for colonies that still have a head or two alive (i’d cut it off the infected first)
good luck on this & sorry about the situation
really is unfortunate

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back