Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to run a Tunze 8831 Fuge light in the middle chamber of my tank for a refugium. (See pic)
Question: I’m 8 days into the cycle of this tank, should I wait until it’s finished cycling to start on the refugium? (Thinking about using Chaeto for it.)
5D6EDBBE-9D74-444A-902C-99B60A77598A.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

Reef Psychology

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably won’t be much to fuel growth until you’ve had fish/inverts in there for a month or two. You also don’t want nutrients stripped out during the cycle. I usually wait until I see green algae forming on the glass and the “ugly phase“ is over. In a tank that small nutrients aren’t much of an issue if you change water weekly so be careful down the road. Too much nutrient export has its own pitfalls.

OP
OP
Captngutts

Captngutts

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably won’t be much to fuel growth until you’ve had fish/inverts in there for a month or two. You also don’t want nutrients stripped out during the cycle. I usually wait until I see green algae forming on the glass and the “ugly phase“ is over. In a tank that small nutrients aren’t much of an issue if you change water weekly so be careful down the road. Too much nutrient export has its own pitfalls.
Thanks for the info! Believe it or not, I was kept awake last night contemplating this. As I thought about it, it occurred to me that it is all about nutrient export and would likely be premature. Your reply confirms this for me! I’m an eager beginner to all of this. Perhaps too eager, and need to learn patience!
Your reply is much appreciated.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back