ITC Reef Delete - A Promise Unfulfilled

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned the Reef Delete since it first hit the market and I sent it back to ITC when they offered to upgrade to the more powerful and current version. This device has a lot of potential but the company ITC appears to have just stopped on any further development. As I've said this device has potential to be an effective Aiptasia killer but power and ergonomics leave it short of its goal. It works but it takes too many sessions to kill a medium size i.e. 3/8 -1/2" around Aiptasia.

My first complaint is the concerns the intensity of the UV light generated. It should be stronger so that multiple treatments for a medium to small size Aiptasia are not required. I generally hit the pest at about two minute intervals but it might take 5-6 times to kill the pest. If you don't follow up daily it will gradually return to size. And one has to be right on top of the pest for it to be effective. Now if you can spot the pest while it is tiny, you can kill it in one two minute session

My second complaint pertains to the stainless hold down button. At about 3/13" around it is just too small and hard. It hurts your thumb after a few minutes of use. Why ITC could come up with a better way to trigger this device is beyond me. In addition, when holding it down with your thumb, the light green light indicating it is emitting the UV light is obscured by your thumb. I've used the Reef Delete a lot and my button is finicky at times in that putting too much pressure on the button will cause it to fail and produce a red indicator light. But since I can't see the light I have no idea if it is working correctly. Attached below is my attempt to eliminate the need to hold down the button with your thumb. I used one half of a wooden cloth pin and the rubber band used to bind stalks of broccoli. It works but can be finicky as well. I got this idea from another reefer on YouTube who did something similar using a piece of plastic as a trigger. I use the blue rubber band to hold my wood trigger down if I want it to stay on continuously. Why ITC can't come up with some kind of a hold down device or better trigger baffles me. Now I realize there are certain liability concerns but I would think one can develop something that addresses those potential issues.

My third complaint is that one doesn't know how much battery life is remaining as there is no indicator of the state of charge. Under reef tank lighting, one could be holding the button down and with the indicator light blocked by your thumb, you wouldn't know if the device is actually emitting any light. Because of this and the other issue above I use this device primarily at night because I can see the UV light. I also use a small water proof high powered pen light as a supplement because one can lose sight of the pest.

This device can be useful when the pest anemone is on the glass and if it is at or close to the waterline where the safety contacts are out of the water. In that case I remove the safety cap put a small piece of wet paper towel covering the two prongs and reinstall the safety cap. The wet paper towel allows for a complete electrical circuit so you can use the device if one can't fully submerge the device. As I don't have at this time at or near the waterline. I just removed the plastic cap as it adds to the bulk of the unit.

I will say that it is a very solid and well built device. Its built like a tank and if I had to fend off an home intruder, I could inflict some serious physical damage with this device.

I communicated my suggestions and recommendations to ITC via email a few months ago and received no response. I take that back. They opened a support ticket then sent me an email stating the ticket was closed. I have no idea if was read.

1723244942989.jpeg

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably stopped further development because it's not a profitable item. I looked at them once but no way I would spend the money on one unless I could melt an aiptasia in seconds. It's too easy to let peppermint shrimp or CBB kill them and there's always kalk paste. JMO

OP
OP
R

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had very little success with peppermint shrimp. The rock in my tank is extremely porous natural coral reef and unless the pest is sitting directly on top and not in a crevice or hole, the Calc paste will just dribble though the rock. Bergia Nudibranch works in one of my tank but they don't last in this tank. They are picked off by some of my fish which are nocturnal hunters. Your mileage may very. JMO.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OP
OP
R

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting attachment

I saw this article when it was published and ITC has done to my knowledge nothing with that device. But other than a hold down attachment, I can't see where this would be effective. It's too bulky, and with fixed angle it will be difficult to reach pests on the backside of your rock. This attachment would be great if you had a bare tank i.e. no rock and your tank was less than 18" deep. I would be happy with a something that would solidly lock the device in the on position.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back