Isochrysis & Tetraselmis storage in the fridge?

BRS

Levinson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Isochrysis galbana or Tetraselmis be stored in fridge as a backup to be cultured later just in case the culture crashes?
I know this can be done with Nannochloropsis but I don't know if it can also be done with Iso and Tetra.

I recently started culturing Isochrysis and plan on culturing Tetraselmis in the future. Luckily my Iso culture seems to be going well so far.
I'm culturing multiple bottles in case it crashes but it would be even better if I can also store them in the fridge as a backup.

Top Shelf Aquatics

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T-iso, I never had luck restoring from fridge or room temp backup. I had to keep multiple live growing containers in case one crashed. It was annoying. Maybe others had better luck.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T-iso, I never had luck restoring from fridge or room temp backup. I had to keep multiple live growing containers in case one crashed. It was annoying. Maybe others had better luck.
Thanks for sharing. Did you use (dose/feed) fridge stored Iso?
I was thinking if the live Iso can't be stored in a fridge, does that mean fridge stored = dead phyto thus may decay in the water when dosed? Not that it's going to be a big problem.

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Isochrysis galbana or Tetraselmis be stored in fridge as a backup to be cultured later just in case the culture crashes?
I know this can be done with Nannochloropsis but I don't know if it can also be done with Iso and Tetra.

I recently started culturing Isochrysis and plan on culturing Tetraselmis in the future. Luckily my Iso culture seems to be going well so far.
I'm culturing multiple bottles in case it crashes but it would be even better if I can also store them in the fridge as a backup.
Tetra and nano for sure, rotate the jars every day or 2 to re suspend whats settled on the bottom

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Did you use (dose/feed) fridge stored Iso?
I was thinking if the live Iso can't be stored in a fridge, does that mean fridge stored = dead phyto thus may decay in the water when dosed? Not that it's going to be a big problem.
The fridge stored the t-iso fine. Still grew lots of pods.
It just didn't grow well to restart a culture after being refrigerated.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Kinetics
Back