+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6123.JPG
Hey there ! You have stumbled upon my little-big reef tank !! Going to describe my setup & share some tips ALSO looking to get some thoughts/opinions/comments going ! Here it is ! Will post some pics soon. Also, i do run a SUMPLESS system ! I know the drawbacks of going sumpless, but i cant afford one & am on a budget ! So thought i'd share this for all you budget reefers !! Lol
• 90 gallon glass tank
• Fluval Fx4 canister filter
• HOB 10 gallon refugium with macros
• reef octopus bh-1000 protien skimmer
• aquamaxx medium media reactor
• mixed reef
• some tangs, fire fish, clams, frags, pipefish & ALOT more !!!
• inch thick sand bed
• 10-15% weekly water changes a MUST for sumpless systems to avoid your canister filter becoming a NITRATE FACTORY lol !
Comments ? Opinions ? Again will post pics in a sec still kinda new to this !

IMG_6125.JPG

IMG_6126.JPG

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Girl.

FYI, with 10 to 15% water changes a week you doing your tank a good deed but clean that canister as well on weekly schedule as it is justva mechenical filter and will turn into a Po4 bomb if you don't.

OP
OP
Isabella rubalcaba

Isabella rubalcaba

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Girl.

FYI, with 10 to 15% water changes a week you doing your tank a good deed but clean that canister as well on weekly schedule as it is justva mechenical filter and will turn into a Po4 bomb if you don't.
Thanks for the heads up ! I actually clean it out weekly two days after the water change, sure its a high maintence cost but it becomes a routine ! Plus my fish are happy !

Avast

Mikeinthekeys

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank Isabella. Sumps are so over rated and take up so much space. HOB, and canisters are the way to go. I used to run one HOB filter and one HOB protein skimmer, but to streamline my tank I removed the protein skimmer and replaced both filters with a larger HOB. Everybody seems to be happy. Also what kind of lights do you have there?

OP
OP
Isabella rubalcaba

Isabella rubalcaba

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank Isabella. Sumps are so over rated and take up so much space. HOB, and canisters are the way to go. I used to run one HOB filter and one HOB protein skimmer, but to streamline my tank I removed the protein skimmer and replaced both filters with a larger HOB. Everybody seems to be happy. Also what kind of lights do you have there?
I hear ya ! While sumps do suit certain set ups, im not too sure why people look down in HOB ?? I mean you save some cash, everything fits better & alot easier to handle ! I currently have a 36 inch fluval marine 2.0 LED .. good enough for what i have now, but i do want to upgrade to some kessils soon !!!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Mikeinthekeys

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya ! While sumps do suit certain set ups, im not too sure why people look down in HOB ?? I mean you save some cash, everything fits better & alot easier to handle ! I currently have a 36 inch fluval marine 2.0 LED .. good enough for what i have now, but i do want to upgrade to some kessils soon !!!

If you are in the market for lights, this is just a personal recommendation which I upgraded to recently and am amazed at the quality. Current USA's orbit marine led are awesome. They are very bright and It includes a controller with loads of features and preset lighting schedules. When you get into the custom lighting schedules it gets a little complex but totally worth the customization.

CLICK TO VIEW
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back