Is this used 75 gal tank for $500 a good deal?

MUB

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to get into this hobby for a while now watching sales and I just saw someone post a 75 gal tank for $500 (700 CAD) with the following specs:

- 75 gal reef ready tank with a corner overflow (48"x18"x18")
- 4 years old
- Custom stand
- 40 gal SUMP
- Reef Octopus 150
- Eheim 300W heater (will definitely get new ones)
- 2 lights = Fluval Marine 3.0 and USA Orbit Marine (both 48 inches)
- Max Water 6 Stages RODI
- Live rock, sand and fish but I doubt I'll take them as it's a 3 hour trip

Seems like a lot of stuff for $500 so I'm a bit worried. Theyre also including bunch of other equipment and tools. They sent a video and the tank was running fine. They said there were no scratches but of course I'll check when I go.

What else should I look for? Are these lights good enough or should I get 2 AIs instead?

Screenshot_20221009-235903_Messenger.jpg Screenshot_20221009-235847_Facebook.jpg

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it’s a pretty good deal if you take the rock at least. Definitely new sand. The fish should be fine if you prep for the trip properly. Trip’s pretty short really. And take the coral if any. If they can survive being shipped cross country then they should be fine for 3 hr trip. Lights need replacing . There are decent budget lights that are lots better than those.

Upvote 0

AngiGiles

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this time around with an established 5yr old 75g on a canister filter and it's been the BEST! No ugly stage, no pests, growing corals like crazy. There's something to be said for starting with an up and running set up if it's decently "clean", tho even if there's a bit if stuff to clean up, like I had a tremendous red bubble algae issue, one spot foxface later, that's been about the worst of it, it was still absolutely worth it. Seems like a good deal as well. My 2 pennies.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expect to upgrade the lights. I would go with more than two AI primes... maybe two Noops instead? A 3rd prime doesn't work well because of the bar in the middle. Two primes is really not that great for such a large tank. Two hydras would be better but costly hence why I mention Noops.

Expect to change RODI filters, maybe membrane too..

Replace the sand.

You also need powerheads, make sure you can afford to put this tank into real working order. So $500 now then maybe another $400 on lights, $150? on powerheads, $20-$70? on filters, $100? on sand, $30-$50 on a heater, some misc things I am sure here and there. More $$ for main brand controllable stuff, my estimates are for cheaper stuff.

Is the overflow clear? I feel like I can see pipes in there... DIY job? I would be concerned about noise and flood protection. Clear also seems annoying for algae growth once the tank has REAL lights. If it is clear, I think you should change the overflow or glue black acrylic over it before use to block the light.

What sump is it? I have seen real sumps and people who say it comes with a sump and its an old wet to dry (blah). Hopefully it is just a 40 breeder sump.

The rock is the main value here. KEEP IT ALIVE or there goes your value...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MUB

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expect to upgrade the lights. I would go with more than two AI primes... maybe two Noops instead? A 3rd prime doesn't work well because of the bar in the middle. Two primes is really not that great for such a large tank. Two hydras would be better but costly hence why I mention Noops.

Expect to change RODI filters, maybe membrane too..

Replace the sand.

You also need powerheads, make sure you can afford to put this tank into real working order. So $500 now then maybe another $400 on lights, $150? on powerheads, $20-$70? on filters, $100? on sand, $30-$50 on a heater, some misc things I am sure here and there. More $$ for main brand controllable stuff, my estimates are for cheaper stuff.

Is the overflow clear? I feel like I can see pipes in there... DIY job? I would be concerned about noise and flood protection. Clear also seems annoying for algae growth once the tank has REAL lights. If it is clear, I think you should change the overflow or glue black acrylic over it before use to block the light.

What sump is it? I have seen real sumps and people who say it comes with a sump and its an old wet to dry (blah). Hopefully it is just a 40 breeder sump.

The rock is the main value here. KEEP IT ALIVE or there goes your value...

I decided against it. I kept looking at the images and videos they sent and tbh the tank has been completely neglected the past 2 months and might have damaged some of the stuff. I was checking how much upgrades would cost and it brings me close to a new tank lol. I'm just gonna go the DIY method and drilling my own 40 breeder and learning as I go.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided against it. I kept looking at the images and videos they sent and tbh the tank has been completely neglected the past 2 months and might have damaged some of the stuff. I was checking how much upgrades would cost and it brings me close to a new tank lol. I'm just gonna go the DIY method and drilling my own 40 breeder and learning as I go.

Good idea! Petco has their 75g 50% off right now even.. might be drillable, not sure. Cost always go up with tank size tho!

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where @MUB is located, but $500 for that lot is a great deal in Canada. We've got a 30% premium on US prices because of our low dollar, and then another 15% premium because of shipping costs. A comparable new Waterbox or Red Sea setup would easily cost $2000-3000, and that doesn't include livestock or aquascape. A couple of used Primes should cost around $300, and with the extras you'd need, you'd still come in under $1000. That's a good price for a build this size.

I know that the OP has passed on this, but good deals on the used market abound. I'd join local Facebook groups, as, if you wait a few months, some real steals will pop up. I scooped up a couple of hundred of pounds of LR over the past year at $1-2/lb because so many people have breaking down their pandemic builds.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MUB

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where @MUB is located, but $500 for that lot is a great deal in Canada. We've got a 30% premium on US prices because of our low dollar, and then another 15% premium because of shipping costs. A comparable new Waterbox or Red Sea setup would easily cost $2000-3000, and that doesn't include livestock or aquascape. A couple of used Primes should cost around $300, and with the extras you'd need, you'd still come in under $1000. That's a good price for a build this size.

I know that the OP has passed on this, but good deals on the used market abound. I'd join local Facebook groups, as, if you wait a few months, some real steals will pop up. I scooped up a couple of hundred of pounds of LR over the past year at $1-2/lb because so many people have breaking down their pandemic builds.

I initially wanted to buy a Waterbox or a Red Sea. If I wanted something comparable to the 75 gallon, I'd probably have to drop $5K-6K on it. That being said, the video he sent was what threw me off. The tank was super nasty and looked really neglected. It would have taken me 3 hours to get there so I thought it wouldn't have been worth it. I'd have to upgrade the lights, the heater, and the RODI unit he gave me which would have brought me closer to the price of drilling a 75 gallon breeder + building my own stand, SUMP, etc. I'm hoping I made the right decision..

Upvote 0

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a good deal if its delivered to you...... but if you have to spend a whole day in his house, dismantling his tank, struggling not to spill saltwater in his house or your car, meanwhile having this guy looking over your shoulder the whole time, hoping you can do it all at once because you dont want to have to make too many 3 hour trips, and then after all that you have to pull $700 out of your pocket and hand to him???? No way, thats a full day of hard labour, people are nuts!

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a tank is not well cared for, the equiptment may not be also.
It's a great point. Also true: if a tank is well cared-for, the equipment may still be in poor condition. I speak from experience...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MUB

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a tank is not well cared for, the equiptment may not be also.

I agree. Earlier you mentioned that the main value of used systems is from the live rocks. Why is that? I'm not buying this system at all but if I ever find a system that's similar to this with live rocks, is it "safe" to buy it? Won't the problems of a neglected tank stick with the rock and cause problems in a new system? Just curious.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially wanted to buy a Waterbox or a Red Sea. If I wanted something comparable to the 75 gallon, I'd probably have to drop $5K-6K on it. That being said, the video he sent was what threw me off. The tank was super nasty and looked really neglected. It would have taken me 3 hours to get there so I thought it wouldn't have been worth it. I'd have to upgrade the lights, the heater, and the RODI unit he gave me which would have brought me closer to the price of drilling a 75 gallon breeder + building my own stand, SUMP, etc. I'm hoping I made the right decision..
The silver lining is that you know that the tank can hold water. I'm serious: dry tanks can mask serious build issues that you can only see when the build is full. And a little elbow grease can work wonders. I'm always surprised that people won't do a little upkeep on dirty tanks, as they could easily raise asking prices for their dirty equipment if they just cleaned it up.

Not criticizing your choice at all, though. If your gut told you not to go for it, it's probably for the best that you didn't.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Earlier you mentioned that the main value of used systems is from the live rocks. Why is that? I'm not buying this system at all but if I ever find a system that's similar to this with live rocks, is it "safe" to buy it? Won't the problems of a neglected tank stick with the rock and cause problems in a new system? Just curious.
Live rock typically costs $10/lb at LFS in Canada. The cost of sufficient aquascape for a big build, as you can imagine, is astronomical. I buy my LR from people breaking down their tanks, which is typically $1-$2 per pound.

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Corals.com
Back