Is this too much lighting (AI Prime 16) for a 11.3g?

AI Hydra

whitewolf21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, quick question on raising the light intensity on an AI Prime 16HD. So, I ran this older schedule consistently for about 8 months since I set up the tank. The tank is fine but I'd like to be able to grow SPS with it. One of my SPS that I recently got is experiencing STN, and I'm guessing it's due to the stress + alk + nutrients + light issue.

So, I decided to up the intensity quite a bit with the new schedule. I was just wondering if this will be OK for an 11.3gal tank? Light is about 11in off of surface water and it's currently acclimating for 30 days to the new light schedule. Please let me know, thank you!

1683766129820.png

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
W

whitewolf21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those percentages are way, way higher than I run mine at peak. I have a 15g fusion (15" deep).

With that being said, if your corals are happy, why change?
Hi thanks for the respond. Like I said I'd like to be able to grow SPS with this tank. I've always used a lower setting on my prime and have had a few unsuccessful attempts are growing SPS. So Im trying something new with this new light and see if it works.

OP
OP
W

whitewolf21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to say without an actual PAR reading, but you're not over/undersized with the AI - so you should be fine.
I've had a PAR measurement in the past and with the old settings none of the spots in tank were able to get over 130. I'm hoping that this new schedule should be able to raise that up significantly.

AS

Lebowski_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for the respond. Like I said I'd like to be able to grow SPS with this tank. I've always used a lower setting on my prime and have had a few unsuccessful attempts are growing SPS. So Im trying something new with this new light and see if it works.
Best of luck!
Light so obviously key but just as important is random flow - make sure those sticks are getting hammered.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NY
Back