Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really struggling with my gyres to get the right kind of flow in this mixed reef 120

This hammer has shrunken a bit and I think it’s too much erratic flow for it

I would say yes slightly to much. I turned my flow way down and hammers responded very well.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really struggling with my gyres to get the right kind of flow in this mixed reef 120

I have MP40s not gyres but I keep them 3 inches below the water surface on a mixed reef heavy SPS and LPS. Do you have yours mounted high?

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have MP40s not gyres but I keep them 3 inches below the water surface on a mixed reef heavy SPS and LPS. Do you have yours mounted high?
I do
Here’s my whole tank

i placed corals based on par measurement but now think I should done it based on flow - it’s hard to get the gyres to give me a smooth circulation rather than blasting

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

shadyraro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t think it’s too much flow at all, my tank is LPS dominant and has a more flow than yours and they’re doing fine. Check it out.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s too much flow at all, my tank is LPS dominant and has a more flow than yours and they’re doing fine. Check it out.
Nice man - is that a hammer in the top left there? Looks like it's going all over the place and seems fine with it

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do
Here’s my whole tank

i placed corals based on par measurement but now think I should done it based on flow - it’s hard to get the gyres to give me a smooth circulation rather than blasting

Really nice looking tank. I don't know what intensity you are running but I was running 2 MP40s at 42% intensity on a 65g DT in reefcrest mode. I am now down to 26% intensity and all my corals love it. SPS are fine and even my softs at the bottom are fine. I drop to 20% overnight too.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice looking tank. I don't know what intensity you are running but I was running 2 MP40s at 42% intensity on a 65g DT in reefcrest mode. I am now down to 26% intensity and all my corals love it. SPS are fine and even my softs at the bottom are fine. I drop to 20% overnight too.
Very kind of you to say - I think it has a long way to go and has lighting issues, but I appreciate it

I am actually running it at only 10%....it seems like even 10% just blasts like crazy.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very kind of you to say - I think it has a long way to go and has lighting issues, but I appreciate it

I am actually running it at only 10%....it seems like even 10% just blasts like crazy.
With a big tank like that you probably need a small angled down wavemaker on the backwall to randomize the flow more

Last edited:

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow in your tank is completely different than the op. Yes he looks to have a little too much . Your flow is slower random flow. His euphyllia is not as extended so it doesn't look as fast as it really is.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow in your tank is completely different than the op. Yes he looks to have a little too much . Your flow is slower random flow. His euphyllia is not as extended so it doesn't look as fast as it really is.

I think you’re right based on polyp retraction
These hammers seem to like a gentle flow but I’m having a hard time getting that with these gyres

Nutramar Foods

shadyraro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think his flow is fine as long as his wave makers aren’t directed straight at his corals, It took me a lot of trial and error but I got there eventually.
My Nero’s are set to pulse mode to chase each other which creates a wave like motion, that’s what euphyllia love.

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re right based on polyp retraction
These hammers seem to like a gentle flow but I’m having a hard time getting that with these gyres
It took me hours to get it right, you have to make an adjustment and wait from 10 minutes to see what your change really looks like. But you can do it!

shadyraro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you find the nem with everything else?
The nems doing good, he’s found his spot up the top of the rock and hasn’t move for a couple months. One thing I’ve noticed is his tentacles are getting bigger and are starting to extend towards one of my Nero’s :astonished-face: I’ll have to keep an eye on him lol.

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Chemi-pure.com - All-In-One Aquarium Filtration
Back