Is this new Eshopps Nano Skimmer defective?

AI Nero 5

Crofty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought an Eshopps Nano Skimmer and found that it's REALLY hard to remove the collection cup. As in I have to fully pull it out of my AIO sump and firmly grip in both hands to wiggle the cup from the body. It's even harder to put the cup back on the body, requiring serious force. It's rather dysfunctional in its current state.

Does this seem normal for a new skimmer? Maybe there's a break in period for the o-ring seal or it needs lube or something?

A quick internet search didn't show this as a common problem so I'm hoping someone who has one of these skimmers can chime in.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either you are turning it the wrong way or you got a Lemon.
I would take it apart and examine the two mating pieces for the source of interference and if nothing is obviously wrong (other than it’s too snug) then I would take it to your place of purchase or call the manufacturer and ask them how they plan to fix it for you?
I’ve never heard of this particular thing in a new skimmer or pump body if it was working properly or unless you/they assembled it wrong. Let the manufacturer know so that they can fix or replace or help you get it working safely.
sorry about your situation.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three of those skimmers, I never have had a problem removing the cup from new.
I need to ask this, Is your skimmer have a long blue magnet or the grey square one. Because all of mine are the new ones, white Sicce motor light blue top. I have seen a bunch of dark blue ones with a grey motor and a long magnet which is similar to the old style on Amazon, Wallmart etc. I have a feeling those are counterfeit.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
C

Crofty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replys. The problem then is the whiteish oring that seals the cup to the chamber. It's just too large and hard and doesn't compress enough to make an easy slip fit. Everything else on the unit seems fine.

I called customer support but was told I needed to communicate through email with a video and pictures. Disappointed with Eshopps that I couldn't just verbally discuss the issue.. Thinking I will take advantage of the 30 day return policy at this point!!!

This one is the newer model with the grey logo'd magnet and white Sicce pump, not a knock off. Funny thing about the magnet is I thought that would be such a great feature. But after having to fish that backer magnet out from behind my cabinet a couple times Ive changed my mind on that.

E303648B-F20A-4746-AE4D-8B52999376DB.jpeg

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replys. The problem then is the whiteish oring that seals the cup to the chamber. It's just too large and hard and doesn't compress enough to make an easy slip fit. Everything else on the unit seems fine.

I called customer support but was told I needed to communicate through email with a video and pictures. Disappointed with Eshopps that I couldn't just verbally discuss the issue.. Thinking I will take advantage of the 30 day return policy at this point!!!

This one is the newer model with the grey logo'd magnet and white Sicce pump, not a knock off. Funny thing about the magnet is I thought that would be such a great feature. But after having to fish that backer magnet out from behind my cabinet a couple times Ive changed my mind on that.

View attachment 2960765
That sucks that you are having such an issue. Like I said I currently run 3 of them and love them. Maybe I love them because all the other nano skimmers I have tried were horrible. At least this skimmer acts like a big skimmer. I would only imagine that the original O-ring spec for this skimmer has changed due to supply issues, etc. I have a Red Sea RSK 300 skimmer in my 40 that I have to bear hug to get the cup off. I am lucky it has a drain tube and I only have to do that when I change my fleece roller every month.
My experience with eshopps via email was very positive. I had a Sicce motor that started sounding like a sick cow howling at the moon (right... go figure) I talked to Chris at RAP on Sunday, He told me to shoot him an email on Monday, and a new pump was sitting at my door on Wednesday at lunch.

CLICK TO VIEW
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Corals.com
Back