Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this light capable of growing chaeto? It is the one I'm using in my sump and I'm starting to grow suspicious that it is the reason my chaeto seems to be shrinking by the day. My display tank is growing green hair algae, cyano, along with pink, purple and green coralline algae. My sump is growing green hair algae and bubble algae, but the chaeto is not growing at all.
Screenshot_20220902-221103.png

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so have not had it long enough to know yet. How long are you running I am on 12 hours opposite of tank time.
Do you have the same light?

For a while I've been running it a full 24 hours. I was originally running 12 hours opposite the DT but since it wasn't growing I thought maybe extra time would help.

neonreef3d

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
its fine,,, you will find out quickly that it does not take too much to grow that stuff,,, I grow mine with a 9W smart bulb, and it sucking all the nutrients out of my water, and I feed heavy too... my Po4 is pretty much zero, so I had to turn my skimmer off during the day, and cut the hours of the light down to 7 hours, and start dosing phosphate.

Avast
OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its fine,,, you will find out quickly that it does not take too much to grow that stuff,,, I grow mine with a 9W smart bulb, and it sucking all the nutrients out of my water, and I feed heavy too... my Po4 is pretty much zero, so I had to turn my skimmer off during the day, and cut the hours of the light down to 7 hours, and start dosing phosphate.
Alright, well then I have another issue. If I leave the chaeto in the refugium without a powerhead on it, it gets covered by green hair algae and bubble algae. The powerhead that I have to put in there to tumble it is too powerful and just breaks everything apart. I tried another of other configurations that didn't work and currently have the chaeto floating in an open hang on the back filter with the fuge light pointing at it. The light is on 24 hours a day which even without the chaeto growing, enough other stuff is growing in the fuge combined with coralline up top, the bad stuff is growing slow enough that my CUC is able to keep up.

I'm dosing with chaetogrow and the nutrient levels I test seem to remain pretty steady. The last test was:

Temp 79.2
Specific gravity 1.023
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 13.0
pH 7.8
dKH ~ 8°
Ca ~ 450

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, well then I have another issue. If I leave the chaeto in the refugium without a powerhead on it, it gets covered by green hair algae and bubble algae. The powerhead that I have to put in there to tumble it is too powerful and just breaks everything apart. I tried another of other configurations that didn't work and currently have the chaeto floating in an open hang on the back filter with the fuge light pointing at it. The light is on 24 hours a day which even without the chaeto growing, enough other stuff is growing in the fuge combined with coralline up top, the bad stuff is growing slow enough that my CUC is able to keep up.

I'm dosing with chaetogrow and the nutrient levels I test seem to remain pretty steady. The last test was:

Temp 79.2
Specific gravity 1.023
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 13.0
pH 7.8
dKH ~ 8°
Ca ~ 450
The whole point of having macro growing in your refugium is to prevent algae in the display (unless you're @Eagle_Steve, lol) It really doesn't matter WHAT type of macro... Hair and bubble algae are going to do the same thing for you as chaeto will. Just remember to prune whatever type of algae you grow periodically.
(I once had cyano coating my entire refugium... No cyano in the display and no noticable problem algae in the display either. Whatever works best, use it :) )

Corals.com
OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole point of having macro growing in your refugium is to prevent algae in the display (unless you're @Eagle_Steve, lol) It really doesn't matter WHAT type of macro... Hair and bubble algae are going to do the same thing for you as chaeto will. Just remember to prune whatever type of algae you grow periodically.
(I once had cyano coating my entire refugium... No cyano in the display and no noticable problem algae in the display either. Whatever works best, use it :) )
Yeah, I agree. You're right. That's why I'm not too worried about this. But I would be lying if I said it wasn't driving me crazy that I can't figure the chaeto out!

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for improving flow in the fuge, you can tee off from a drain or your return and have some water flow into the fuge chamber...
That's a good idea. I have a small powerhead that I'm going to try next. If that doesn't work I may give that a shot.

Nutramar Foods

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the cheap Amazon LED with no luck and hanging a bulb home depot light in the cabinet worried me due to heat and fire hazard. I bought a Neptune gro light and now I prune off large size chaeto clumps every 2 weeks. Grows like crazy.

Attachments

• 20220827_204318.jpg
    20220827_204318.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 35

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea. I have a small powerhead that I'm going to try next. If that doesn't work I may give that a shot.
Anytime I tried a powerhead, it quickly got clogged up with caulerpa (grows better for me than chaeto).

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just re-read your post... If chaeto is not growing well, I suggest you try caulerpa. I prefer the feather types over the grape, but both grow very well for me and I can't seem to keep chaeto alive.

Avast
OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just re-read your post... If chaeto is not growing well, I suggest you try caulerpa. I prefer the feather types over the grape, but both grow very well for me and I can't seem to keep chaeto alive.
I will give caulerpa a shot. I had a small piece of it that looked like it was going to take off and then I had a snail jail break and they devoured the caulerpa.

But do you anchor your caulerpa or just let it free float in the refugium? I have heard caulerpa does better if it is somehow anchored.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the cheap Amazon LED with no luck and hanging a bulb home depot light in the cabinet worried me due to heat and fire hazard. I bought a Neptune gro light and now I prune off large size chaeto clumps every 2 weeks. Grows like crazy.
Hmmmmm.... I may have to look into this Neptune light. Thank you

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give caulerpa a shot. I had a small piece of it that looked like it was going to take off and then I had a snail jail break and they devoured the caulerpa.

But do you anchor your caulerpa or just let it free float in the refugium? I have heard caulerpa does better if it is somehow anchored.
I let it float. If your fuge is set up so that the algae can float over to the next chamber, then I guess you could place the ends of the pieces under a rock, but I've never done that.

World Wide Corals

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmmm.... I may have to look into this Neptune light. Thank you
An LED bulb in the clamp light does not put off any significant amount of heat and is not a fire hazard.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let it float. If your fuge is set up so that the algae can float over to the next chamber, then I guess you could place the ends of the pieces under a rock, but I've never done that.
The fuge just has little slits to allow water to flow through. It would likely be fine without being anchored.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back