Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4.5 weeks in. Red Sea reefer 350, 2 clowns added in the second week, 2 bengali cardinals on 3rd week. Started with Dr Timms. Testing daily and 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 0 Nitrate. PH 7.8, Temp fluctuates slightly but generally 77.8f. Salinity 35ppt.
I took water to LFS last weekend who tested with Hanna water checkers and confirmed above with the precision that my nitrate was 0.9.
This is FOWLR (40kg of dry rock) and live special grade sand.
Just running the lights in the evening Kessil 160s on colour 0, intensity 5.
Is it a case of sit tight and continue, last week the LFS basically said my tank was too clean and needed more load, hence the 2 cardinals. Reading about what is to come e.g the ugly phase etc do I just continue as is. When should I start to consider CUC?
I am gearing up for 10% weekly water change, but with nitrates so low, should I wait until this starts to increase first.

Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you need a bit more "dirt" (nitrates). As soon as you start seeing algae buildup on the glass (or you're scraping more often that you'd like), start adding some trochus or turbo snails (trochus is my preference).

I'd aim for 10%/every 2 weeks - at least until your tank is "dirtier".

OP
OP
F

Flea78

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice and reassurance. My first rodeo and really want to succeed. No pressure but tank is also in an open plan room which all can see [HASH=74917]#nowheretohide[/HASH] :)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
GHL Advanced Technology
Back