+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I just finished cycling my 40 gallon a few days ago and got a pair of clowns as my first fish. They have been fairly friendly towards each other other than the occasional nip which I assume is normal as they figure out the new tank. The larger ones fins are very jagged compared to the smaller ones but I can’t tell if it’s normal, fin rot or just stress/nipping. I was worried it could be ammonia but it’s been 0 for a while now. Is this normal or something I should be concerned about? I can try to get a better picture if needed.

My parameters using Salifert tests are:

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 15 ppm
pH: 7.8
Salinity: 1.024
Alkalinity: 7 dKH

Thanks!!

4A31DBDB-3AC3-41CD-8EC1-479A9E59757E.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin nipping can turn into bacterial fin rot. Clowns can be pretty sly, and only fight when you aren’t watching them. Try watching them from a darkened room or set your phone up to video them when you aren’t there. Any contact at all, even once a day, can add up damage-wise.

Also, you pH is a bit low for a new tank - does the tank have good aeration?

Jay

OP
OP
CodyH

CodyH

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin nipping can turn into bacterial fin rot. Clowns can be pretty sly, and only fight when you aren’t watching them. Try watching them from a darkened room or set your phone up to video them when you aren’t there. Any contact at all, even once a day, can add up damage-wise.

Also, you pH is a bit low for a new tank - does the tank have good aeration?

Jay
Hey Jay!

I appreciate the response! I watched for a while in the dark and didn’t see any fin nipping. They seem to be minding their own business. Since my post the clown now seems to have a while slime on him. Although I’m very new I know this isn’t normal! Does this look like brooks? I’m not sure if I should be posting the pics here or making a new forum in the disease section? Let me know if I’m in the wrong spot.

As for the aeration, I had a glass top until yesterday which might’ve been contributing to the issue. I’ve removed the glass for a screen so hopefully that helps.

I should mention that I don’t have a qt set up but if needed I can get my hands on something.

Thanks so much for the help!

Attachments

• 86E5E71A-6FDE-4626-BB69-57CFBDB4E0EB.jpeg
    86E5E71A-6FDE-4626-BB69-57CFBDB4E0EB.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 30742017-FFCE-41A6-9261-79C46B141025.jpeg
    30742017-FFCE-41A6-9261-79C46B141025.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 42
CLICK TO VIEW

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, that does look like Brooklynella. Formalin is hard to find. You will need a treatment tank in any case. A FW dip as you move the fish as mentioned will help. Some people have used Paraguard and some have used Ruby Reef Rally, but neither are as good of a choice as formalin.
Jay

OP
OP
CodyH

CodyH

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called my LFS and they told me that in Ontario/Canada there aren’t many options for meds and my best bet would be to post on local forums and hope someone close has something. Not sure if that’s true or not but I’m having a hard time finding anything online either. I’m going to do a freshwater dip tonight to hopefully buy some time while I search around but I’m not too sure what to do. Since I only have the two fish in my DT should I separate them in the hopes that my second clown doesn’t get it or is that useless at this point?

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back