Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...I was sure I was battling with dinos again. I changed my lights recently and the dreaded stringy stuff appeared on my sand and rocks and started irritating my corals. So, I started siphoning the thing off, cleaning the sand with the eheim gravel cleaner, brushing off rocks twice daily and dosing peroxide at night. To day I saw a thread about how to identify you actually have dinos with the cofee filter method. So I strained some tank water through the filter, shook the cup and left it under a light for about 2 hours. This is the result. A very light brown trace in the water, not clumpy. So what do you all think? Is it dinos or not? And what should I do about it?

1681303148456.png

AquaCave Logo Banner
AquaCave Logo Banner

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...I was sure I was battling with dinos again. I changed my lights recently and the dreaded stringy stuff appeared on my sand and rocks and started irritating my corals. So, I started siphoning the thing off, cleaning the sand with the eheim gravel cleaner, brushing off rocks twice daily and dosing peroxide at night. To day I saw a thread about how to identify you actually have dinos with the cofee filter method. So I strained some tank water through the filter, shook the cup and left it under a light for about 2 hours. This is the result. A very light brown trace in the water, not clumpy. So what do you all think? Is it dinos or not? And what should I do about it?

View attachment 3106116
Probably not since they did not reform, but I am not sure that is a guarantee they will depending on the species. However, every dino I have encountered reformed in minutes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Here are some tank pictures of just now
View attachment 3106127

View attachment 3106125
This is early stage dino. siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1.5ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
E

Eleni18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1.5ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
Thank you! I have been doing all those things you suggest, except for the lights out

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you! I have been doing all those things you suggest, except for the lights out
Theres your answer. Light is their biggest food source- It helps their cell to reproduce

Gyarados

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can NOPOX a source for Dino’s?
never thought of that; got me curious.

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How can NOPOX a source for Dino’s?
never thought of that; got me curious.
It lowers nitrate and Phos which is already consumed making it stay low to zero which you do not want. Its a form of vinegar dosing

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To day I saw a thread about how to identify you actually have dinos with the cofee filter method. So I strained some tank water through the filter, shook the cup and left it under a light for about 2 hours. This is the result. A very light brown trace in the water, not clumpy. So what do you all think? Is it dinos or not? And what should I do about it?

1681303148456.png

sounds like you may have done it backwards.

1) such up some brown material
2) shake it vigorously
3) pour it through a coffee filter
4) dinos will re-form clumps in a matter of a few minutes in the cup.

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like you may have done it backwards.

1) such up some brown material
2) shake it vigorously
3) pour it through a coffee filter
4) dinos will re-form clumps in a matter of a few minutes in the cup.
OK, so I did it both ways. Still no clumping, the water in the cup after the filter is clear

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I did it both ways. Still no clumping, the water in the cup after the filter is clear
That result means it may be more likely diatoms.
Not confident though.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Deltec
Back