+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All

I have had my first tank up for about 2 months. A month ago I got a nice frag, almost completely covered withRed People Eater Zoa. Did a dip with Coral RX and it’s been doing well for the ninth (although no visible signs of growth).

Today I noticed some of the zoas peeling back with something spiky starting to pop out. I fear it may be my first ever Aptasia. If it is Aptasia it must have been living under the zoa completely shaded since putting in tank )didn’t think that was possible.

hoping you guys can help me positively identify what it is and suggest what to do next (I do have some unopened F Aptasia)

here is pic of frag I took today Li da hard to tell but best I could take
36EC57C8-B415-48EE-A11B-E8074746FC77.jpeg

World Wide Corals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello All

I have had my first tank up for about 2 months. A month ago I got a nice frag, almost completely covered withRed People Eater Zoa. Did a dip with Coral RX and it’s been doing well for the ninth (although no visible signs of growth).

Today I noticed some of the zoas peeling back with something spiky starting to pop out. I fear it may be my first ever Aptasia. If it is Aptasia it must have been living under the zoa completely shaded since putting in tank )didn’t think that was possible.

hoping you guys can help me positively identify what it is and suggest what to do next (I do have some unopened F Aptasia)

here is pic of frag I took today Li da hard to tell but best I could take View attachment 3000266
It sure is. Safest and easiest will be to use a syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

The Ginga Ninja

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All

here is pic of frag I took today Li da hard to tell but best I could take View attachment 3000266
That's aptasia for sure, same thing happened to my zoa garden. Unfortunately, in tanks where zoas thrive, so do aptasia, they're pretty similar in the parameters that cause them to thrive. I'd recommend you get yourself some bhergias before the problem takes off... I waited to long haha:

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really have two options...

1 - with such a new tank, accept that aiptasia will at some point be introduced to your aquarium. Find a 'reactive' approach, something that will keep their numbers in line. A lot of options here.

2 - with such a new tank, you MIGHT have been able to spot this aiptasia soon enough for it to not have spread. a CHANCE. if you are willing to bet against never reintroducing the aiptasia to your system, then remove the zoa frag. Cut off as many zoas as you can, spread them on to different frags if you want, and toss the frag plug in the trash. burn it with fire or it might travel through the air back into your tank (not really but you get the idea)

I personally would go with the first option - i have a large 150 gallon + system, and have introduced aiptasia probably 15 times already in a year. I dont QT coral so that is my choice and my consequence. If i could go back, I think I would probably do it all the same as I did this time.

my personal choice for the aiptasia removal is the blue head kleini butterfly. I had quite a few aiptasia, and some of them very large. the F-aiptasia, aiptasia-x is worthless, kalk slurry will work if you can cover the entire aiptasia and keep flow off for 30 minutes. it will cause a bit of harm to the zoas around it, but they will bounce back.

nice looking frag BTW !!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

TCK Corals
Back