Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here, have mercy. Hitchhiker on live rock that showed up about a week after rock was put in tank:

1677776716006.png

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods
BRS
OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try to finish it off pretty quickly, hopefully it is the only one
Went to pull it out and it darted into the rock ... as a newbie I have to say that was interesting to watch, even though I wanted to get it out. ;-)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is your live rock sourced from?
From what I have heard, Aiptasia (at least, the common invasive "glass anemone") is not present in the Caribbean.
I got lightbulb anemones on my live rock from the Florida Gulf that look somewhat similar to common Aiptasia but definitely are not the same. They are not invasive and can be interesting hitchhikers.

The main differences are:
Lightbulb anemones have thicker lightbulb-shaped tentacles when small, though the can stretch out in very similar shape to common Aiptasia.
Lightbulb anemones have some white bands on the tentacles while common Aiptasia tend to be plain light-brown in color with no banding.
Lightbulb anemones have sparkling speckling on the central disk while common Aiptasia tend to be mostly plain in coloration.

OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is your live rock sourced from?
From what I have heard, Aiptasia (at least, the common invasive "glass anemone") is not present in the Caribbean.
I got lightbulb anemones on my live rock from the Florida Gulf that look somewhat similar to common Aiptasia but definitely are not the same. They are not invasive and can be interesting hitchhikers.

The main differences are:
Lightbulb anemones have thicker lightbulb-shaped tentacles when small, though the can stretch out in very similar shape to common Aiptasia.
Lightbulb anemones have some white bands on the tentacles while common Aiptasia tend to be plain light-brown in color with no banding.
Lightbulb anemones have sparkling speckling on the central disk while common Aiptasia tend to be mostly plain in coloration.
Thank you, very interesting information. I’ll look at it more closely. My rock came from the Florida Gulf.

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, very interesting information. I’ll look at it more closely. My rock came from the Florida Gulf.
I think I can see some banding on the tentacles of your anemone, but a better picture would be needed for a more conclusive ID. My opinion is that you can probably at least keep your Aiptasia panic to a minimum for now.

BRS
OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can see some banding on the tentacles of your anemone, but a better picture would be needed for a more conclusive ID. My opinion is that you can probably at least keep your Aiptasia panic to a minimum for now.
I see the banding. Also found another one in another part of the tank with the same banding. Thanks for your help.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NY
Back