Is this an acoel flatworm?

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to look up in the hitchhiker guide and an acoel flatworm is the closest looking thing I could find. If not can someone else help me ID this. Those are nassarius snail eggs next to it
IMG_3719.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I tried to look up in the hitchhiker guide and an acoel flatworm is the closest looking thing I could find. If not can someone else help me ID this. Those are nassarius snail eggs next to it
IMG_3719.jpeg
Hard to tell with all blue light but if clear in appearance also called Ghost flatworms. While they are not harmful as red planaria, they in numbers can smother bases of coral and block the needed light for production of zooxanthellae which is their energy source.
Removal can be accomplished by siphoning them with a 3/8" tubing into a nylon stocking and discard
OR
Add a wrasse such as Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or malanurus OR even a springieri damsel which will eat them

if you see them in numbers, for the next 2 weeks you will have to look for eggs and scrape off as there is likely some and would be future acoels. Eggs are really tiny

1678293158905.png

OP
OP
cjtabares

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell with all blue light but if clear in appearance also called Ghost flatworms. While they are not harmful as red planaria, they in numbers can smother bases of coral and block the needed light for production of zooxanthellae which is their energy source.
Removal can be accomplished by siphoning them with a 3/8" tubing into a nylon stocking and discard
OR
Add a wrasse such as Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or malanurus OR even a springieri damsel which will eat them

if you see them in numbers, for the next 2 weeks you will have to look for eggs and scrape off as there is likely some and would be future acoels. Eggs are really tiny

1678293158905.png
Thanks for the info.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back