Is there something wrong with my diamond goby?

allymorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I noticed that my diamond goby was swimming at the surface and putting his mouth out of the water (like he was trying to eat food off the surface) and i wanted to know if something was wrong or if this is normal. There is about a 2 inch gap in the back of my tank that isn’t covered so my water evaporates fast and the water line is low right now so my filter is creating bubbles. could he be trying to eat the bubbles? i’m just looking for some answers. thank you

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming at the top could be a sign of low oxygen in the water, higher up is higher oxygen content. The water surface should be agitated by a powerhead to help with gas exchange.

Anyway, just throwing an idea out there, a picture or short video will really help us a lot more.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? What is he eating? Sometimes they are not getting enough.

They are jumpers and very capable of finding that gap.

OP
OP
A

allymorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it’s a 40 gallon tank. i feed him mysis shrimp and flakes and i feed him twice a day

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I noticed that my diamond goby was swimming at the surface and putting his mouth out of the water (like he was trying to eat food off the surface) and i wanted to know if something was wrong or if this is normal. There is about a 2 inch gap in the back of my tank that isn’t covered so my water evaporates fast and the water line is low right now so my filter is creating bubbles. could he be trying to eat the bubbles? i’m just looking for some answers. thank you
The water line should not change via evaporation, it’s maintained by replacing with RODI to ensure salinity does not change.

Is your salinity high? That might cause some grief.

Ammonia can cause fish to “pop” at the surface .

OP
OP
A

allymorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The water line should not change via evaporation, it’s maintained by replacing with RODI to ensure salinity does not change.

My salinity is normal. If the waterline isn’t changing from evaporation then what is causing it to change.

OP
OP
A

allymorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ammonia can cause fish to “pop” at the surface .
my ammonia levels were normal last time i tested my water

OP
OP
A

allymorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what you mean but if your salinity is correct and not changing then you must be adding fresh to maintain that level.
that is what i have been doing. the room my fish tank is in is the hottest in my house so i think it is just evaporation

OP
OP
A

allymorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming at the top could be a sign of low oxygen in the water, higher up is higher oxygen content. The water surface should be agitated by a powerhead to help with gas exchange.

Anyway, just throwing an idea out there, a picture or short video will really help us a lot more.
how do i get oxygen to the bottom of the tank?

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do i get oxygen to the bottom of the tank?
A protein skimmer is the best way, but without a skimmer, point powerhead at the water surface, it should be agitated to help with gas exchange and help oxygenate the water.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like an anxious fish thinking about jumping out. Gobies and jawfish will swim around the top poking their head out, especially at night looking for a place to jump out.

How long have you had it?

OP
OP
A

allymorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like an anxious fish thinking about jumping out. Gobies and jawfish will swim around the top poking their head out, especially at night looking for a place to jump out.

How long have you had it?
i’ve had him for a couple weeks

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back