Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago I had a pair of Ocellaris clowns in a 40 Long with another tank mate, a Valentini puffer.

They got along so well at first that one of the clowns swam with puffer instead of the other clown. But then they turned on the puffer and killed him.

Today, those two clowns are the only inhabitants in a newly set up 125 gallon. If I were to add 4 Valentini puffers (after proper quarantine), would I have to worry about aggression by the clowns toward the puffers? Or, will they be kept in check because they are outnumbered?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Several years ago I had a pair of Ocellaris clowns in a 40 Long with another tank mate, a Valentini puffer.

They got along so well at first that one of the clowns swam with puffer instead of the other clown. But then they turned on the puffer and killed him.

Today, those two clowns are the only inhabitants in a newly set up 125 gallon. If I were to add 4 Valentini puffers (after proper quarantine), would I have to worry about aggression by the clowns toward the puffers? Or, will they be kept in check because they are outnumbered?
Clowns can be territorial especially if bonded but I would suggest placing the clowns in an acclimation box for a week or two opposed to 4 puffers in the box allowing them to get acquainted with tank and surroundings

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be territorial especially if bonded but I would suggest placing the clowns in an acclimation box for a week or two opposed to 4 puffers in the box allowing them to get acquainted with tank and surroundings

Getting those guys out of an aquascaped 125 will be a challenge.

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the new 125 gallon would be more than enough room. You did say 'ocellaris' not clarkii.

Can you keep multiples of those dwarf puffers, or will they go after each other?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the new 125 gallon would be more than enough room. You did say 'ocellaris' not clarkii.

Can you keep multiples of those dwarf puffers, or will they go after each other?

I don't know. They are very peaceful creatures, so I thought it would be ok.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back