Is there a reliable way to attach a coral to rockwork?

BRS

kdx7214

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried gel type CA glue without success. The three types I've tried have all failed to harden or hardened immediately on contact with the saltwater and wouldn't hold anything. I've read about the reef safe putty, but apparently it's a similar situation. I have a new zoa plug I want to attach but it keeps falling off the rock. So how the heck can I get it to stay?

BRS
Corals.com
OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Gorilla gel and epoxy. Mix the epoxy and put super glue on the plug. Press on the epoxy then apply super glue to the other side and press into rock.

Gorilla glue is one of the ones I tried. I actually have it sitting here on my desk. I've ordered some putty, but not sure how that's going to help since it won't stick to the rock.

Avast

pikachux3

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorilla glue is one of the ones I tried. I actually have it sitting here on my desk. I've ordered some putty, but not sure how that's going to help since it won't stick to the rock.

try smearing and pressing some super glue on the rock work where you are going to be putting the frag

it should be white and thin < 1inch in area, it'll form a hard crust for the next step

then do the sandwich method, make sure there a decent glob of super glue, and hold few a few seconds, it should connect

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also make sure you’re getting real super glue eca/2oca. A lot of the consumer stuff is retarded literally. You want the stuff that offgases, makes your eyes sticky, glues fingers. If you skim the plug, skim the rock, then apply a drop it will stick. Also helps to lower plug into water upside down.

FoolishWizard

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always had success with any kind of super glue... It will typically "skin over" / turn white as soon as it hits water but its doesnt harden... Put it in its place and move it around to break that skin and get the glue moving between plug and rock and then hold a few seconds.

BRS
OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also make sure you’re getting real super glue eca/2oca. A lot of the consumer stuff is retarded literally. You want the stuff that offgases, makes your eyes sticky, glues fingers. If you skim the plug, skim the rock, then apply a drop it will stick. Also helps to lower plug into water upside down.

Any brand recommendations? The ones I've tried have all said they are CA, but not the two you mentioned.

Top Shelf Aquatics

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CA glue guide. . . repeat steps 1 - 3 until moderate amount of glue is attached to both the rock and the bottom of the coral:

1683930134504.png

AquaCave Logo Banner

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have drilled the rock. Try a regular worn out Wood/Metal Bit, to test the hardness. If the rock is very hard Switch to a worn Masonry Bit. I found out worn bits work better, than brand new bits. New bits tend to splinter the rock.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seatak works great can get it at champion lighting
I would read this.

Avast

paragrouper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how this would help since the super glue seems to be the part that isn't holding.
It works.

A few tips.

1. wear those disposable gloves.
2. trim up your plug (if needed) so you have a good mounting surface.
3. brush off your rock surface
4. before you apply CA glue to plug, dry plug with a towel.
5. after you place epoxy ball on plug, make an invention in the ball to act as reservoir for the CA glue. This allows you to use a bit more without it running all over your fingers.
6. as others have mentioned hold the plug upside down when until you get to the mounting point.
7. hold it in place at least the 10 seconds stated on the CA directions.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Your Reef
Back