Is there a cross reference of aquarium additives that can be combined to simplify dosing?

dtruitt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spent some time looking to no avail.

I'm dosing Alk, Vinegar, Ca, and Iron on a regular basis.

I run mag up a little higher than "normal" (1450 or so) and let it deplete down to 1350 ish. Mag depletes slowly enough that I dont want to chance dosing it on a schedule, and it doesnt seem to have a profound impact on anything if its within a fairly wide acceptable range.

Thinking about adding K to the mix due to sporadic issues with Montipora that dont affect Acropora. WCs help, but I'd rather get a hold on that parameter so it's not a constant worry.

I don't want to set up an automatic doser yet. Still tweaking enough that consumption of many elements can vary week to week.

I've thought it through (somewhat) and it seems to me that I could combine daily Ca, Fe, and possibly K doses in sample cups to simplify dosing. I'm wary of interactions between Vinegar, Ca, and or Alk.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Homebrewer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not dose traditional two part daily, then add iron, potassium, and other trace elements weekly or maybe twice a week? Just being honest, what you are proposing sounds more complicated than it needs to be. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not dose traditional two part daily, then add iron, potassium, and other trace elements weekly or maybe twice a week? Just being honest, what you are proposing sounds more complicated than it needs to be. Just my opinion.

That's what I'm doing now. The daily carbon dosing makes three daily doses, and I lose track of when I last dosed iron pretty regularly. In theory, I dose iron on Sunday. In practice, I lose track of the days and ignore reminders on my phone.

Homebrewer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m doing two part daily, and RS trace once a week. I just read a thread about whe to start using doing pumps. It’s actually an interesting question if you think about it. It has a lot to do with the amount your dosing, and how much of a daily drop that’s covering. I’m at the point where in y estimation it would be more beneficial, and obviously easier, for me to dose two part with pumps.

That would take the biggest burden away. Then trace once a week (just don’t forget) only leaves the vinegar manual daily. You could put that on a dosing pump too I suppose, but I don’t carbon dose so don’t quote me on that.

Provided you don’t automate, then there really is no substitute for good husbandry. If you are choosing to dose 3 “parts” daily, and trace once a week, all manually, then you’ll just have to get in the habit of doing it and not missing. Even if you combine some elements, as was in your original post, that won’t solve your issue if you ignore your own reminders.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m doing two part daily, and RS trace once a week. I just read a thread about whe to start using doing pumps. It’s actually an interesting question if you think about it. It has a lot to do with the amount your dosing, and how much of a daily drop that’s covering. I’m at the point where in y estimation it would be more beneficial, and obviously easier, for me to dose two part with pumps.

That would take the biggest burden away. Then trace once a week (just don’t forget) only leaves the vinegar manual daily. You could put that on a dosing pump too I suppose, but I don’t carbon dose so don’t quote me on that.

Provided you don’t automate, then there really is no substitute for good husbandry. If you are choosing to dose 3 “parts” daily, and trace once a week, all manually, then you’ll just have to get in the habit of doing it and not missing. Even if you combine some elements, as was in your original post, that won’t solve your issue if you ignore your own reminders.

I can remember to do things daily. Its weekly / biweekly tasks that slip my mind. Duly noted however.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run an apex with trident and dos. Aswell as 3 brs1ml dosers. Dos does my alk and cal and then I programmed brs dosers for mag and then my trace elements. Now every two weeks or so all I do is fill the Reservoirs

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no database on combinations, but if you know what is in a product, I’ll indicate whether I think mixing them is ok.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no database on combinations, but if you know what is in a product, I’ll indicate whether I think mixing them is ok.
Time to create a matrix of elements and inorganic molecules indicating which pairs precipitate, react, or are OK to mix.

PacificaDogFamily

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to use my Apex DOS for a red sea recipe, but I have no idea if it will do everything I need, or will I need additional equipment. I'm also curious if people use the Apex to dose by reading a probe or if they just set it up and dose off of a schedule like the below.
  • KH/ Alkalinity | Foundation B - 61.3 ml (Weekly)
  • Iodine+ | Trace Colors A - 2.5 ml (Weekly)
  • NO3 PO4-X - 3.5 ml (Daily)
  • Reef Energy Plus - 3.5 ml (Daily)

Target Water Parameters
  • Salinity - 34ppt
  • Calcium - 450ppm
  • Magnesium - 1350ppm
  • Alkalinity - 11.5dkH
  • Nitrate - 5ppm
  • Phosphate - 0.1ppm

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
GHL Advanced Technology
Back