Is the Acropora a beginner coral or not?

Preston's_Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title shows I am a beginner and I am considering getting an Acro or two.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question to some or not, but I have seen mixed results online and I know there are threads on this topic but I started a new thread in hope for direct answers. I am 1 1/2 months into this 13.5 evo and I am pretty much a beginner at reefing. I have successfully kept a GSP, two Zoa's, a sinularia leather, hammer, psammocora, and cyphastrea alive and happy (I know these are beginner corals). I know again this might be a dumb question, but I am considering getting an acro because they are so purchased for so cheap at the auctions(at my LFS). The coral store I go to is The Coral Vault in Hasslet, Tx. I don't know why but they are and I have seen threads where acro's are easy and where they are not. I will provide anymore tank info if asked for.

Anything helps, thanks for advice or suggestions

Coral vault website link if ya'll want to check it out:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer is that for most folks, acropora are a coral you will look at after you have gained some experience.

It's not black and white as there are beginner acros and there are difficult ones.

If you're completely new, I'd suggest waiting a year for the tank to mature and to some gain experience.

If you don't you may waste a lot of money on coral that die.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a mid level hobbyist. I am not an expert so take it for what it's worth. Acro is easier to grow than euphylia. But acro is less forgiving.

Anyone can keep acropora with automation, even in the tiniest nano.

1. Reliable ATO
2. Reliable dose pump
3. Consistent parameters

However, under perfect circumstances everything is easy. When things aren't perfect, is the test.

I say cut your teeth on a Staghorn, anacropora, green slimer, or even monti digitata. Isolate them so they don't take over one day if you are successful.

Trevorreilly73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally speaking I don't think it's a matter of being a beginner or not. If you are willing to put in the work and keep the water parameters in check, then you can keep any coral you wish. Not sure how accurate this is but they say the fussy/hairy type of sps (like digitata) is easy then the smooth sps (like most acropora). No reason to not give it a try and learn along the way

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its about as far as you can get from “beginner coral”. That said, as others mentioned, if you have the patience, do your research, and can maintain stability it is certainly not out of reach for anyone to keep them. For the average beginner, I would recommend against them and suggest building some confidence with an actual beginner coral. If you’re after colorful ‘sticks’, pocillopora is a great beginner SPS you could check out.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya trees litter... If you can keep these under control then an sps coral might not be that far off. GL.

OP
OP
Preston's_Waters

Preston's_Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer is that for most folks, acropora are a coral you will look at after you have gained some experience.

It's not black and white as there are beginner acros and there are difficult ones.

If you're completely new, I'd suggest waiting a year for the tank to mature and to some gain experience.

If you don't you may waste a lot of money on coral that die.
Thank you very much, I was thinking this but need a final confirmation before calling it off

OP
OP
Preston's_Waters

Preston's_Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a mid level hobbyist. I am not an expert so take it for what it's worth. Acro is easier to grow than euphylia. But acro is less forgiving.

Anyone can keep acropora with automation, even in the tiniest nano.

1. Reliable ATO
2. Reliable dose pump
3. Consistent parameters

However, under perfect circumstances everything is easy. When things aren't perfect, is the test.

I say cut your teeth on a Staghorn, anacropora, green slimer, or even monti digitata. Isolate them so they don't take over one day if you are successful.
thank you for the advice, will do

OP
OP
Preston's_Waters

Preston's_Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its about as far as you can get from “beginner coral”. That said, as others mentioned, if you have the patience, do your research, and can maintain stability it is certainly not out of reach for anyone to keep them. For the average beginner, I would recommend against them and suggest building some confidence with an actual beginner coral. If you’re after colorful ‘sticks’, pocillopora is a great beginner SPS you could check out.
thank you for the direct answers

sharkbait-uhaha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always intimidated by sps but was given some freebies with some frag purchases ( green slimer and purple stylo) and yea lets just say they didn't survive in my tank lol
but everything I had did torches, hammers, zoas etc etc. So I gave up with that but now that im back into this hobby I decided to really tackle regular maintenance and keeping water chemistry as stable as possible and purchased 3 sticks and so far they are incrusting and growing !
so in other words, you need to really be onto of water chemistry and make sure swings aren't too crazy cause sticks dont tolerate much and will go from being colorful to straight up WHITE (RTN/STN)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Acropora are sensitive. Once disease hits them, they start to die quickly.

In small tanks. Managing water evaporation is going to be your friend.

I'm not sure how to calculate salinity with evaporation. But, a 13g tank losing 1 gallon will be a huge impact on parameters. This can cause sps to really get moody and stressed allowing disease to take over.

It's up to you on how you want to keep your water topped off.

Something to think about.

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acropora is one of those corals where all checks out good, chemistry, lights, and flow. and this coral still dies on you. assuming you are beginner, (other wise you wouldn't ask this question) i would say if you think you are ready what it takes for sps (not acropora) try cheap frags first like forest fire digitata, birds nest, pocillopora, montipora caps. all those I would say are cheap to get, like $15-20 if you buy from correct places. but don't spend money on acropora, not just yet.

OP
OP
Preston's_Waters

Preston's_Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always intimidated by sps but was given some freebies with some frag purchases ( green slimer and purple stylo) and yea lets just say they didn't survive in my tank lol
but everything I had did torches, hammers, zoas etc etc. So I gave up with that but now that im back into this hobby I decided to really tackle regular maintenance and keeping water chemistry as stable as possible and purchased 3 sticks and so far they are incrusting and growing !
so in other words, you need to really be onto of water chemistry and make sure swings aren't too crazy cause sticks dont tolerate much and will go from being colorful to straight up WHITE (RTN/STN)
thank you, and dang you are very lucky to have gotten those free. I am starting to grasp the full amount of work I will need to be putting in to the hobby of saltwater.

OP
OP
Preston's_Waters

Preston's_Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropora are sensitive. Once disease hits them, they start to die quickly.

In small tanks. Managing water evaporation is going to be your friend.

I'm not sure how to calculate salinity with evaporation. But, a 13g tank losing 1 gallon will be a huge impact on parameters. This can cause sps to really get moody and stressed allowing disease to take over.

It's up to you on how you want to keep your water topped off.

Something to think about.
will do, thanks

OP
OP
Preston's_Waters

Preston's_Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acropora is one of those corals where all checks out good, chemistry, lights, and flow. and this coral still dies on you. assuming you are beginner, (other wise you wouldn't ask this question) i would say if you think you are ready what it takes for sps (not acropora) try cheap frags first like forest fire digitata, birds nest, pocillopora, montipora caps. all those I would say are cheap to get, like $15-20 if you buy from correct places. but don't spend money on acropora, not just yet.
noted, thanks

sharkbait-uhaha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, and dang you are very lucky to have gotten those free. I am starting to grasp the full amount of work I will need to be putting in to the hobby of saltwater.
Local reefers will always be the best at hooking you up with great deals and also freebies .. I’ve tried buying from LFS but after seeing their prices and comparing to local reefer prices for same item it’s hard for me to drop extra 30-50 dollars MINIMUM on a frag that I know I could get for cheaper through someone local

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local reefers will always be the best at hooking you up with great deals and also freebies .. I’ve tried buying from LFS but after seeing their prices and comparing to local reefer prices for same item it’s hard for me to drop extra 30-50 dollars MINIMUM on a frag that I know I could get for cheaper through someone local
Do you mean like a reefing club or Facebook marketplace? LFS=local fish store, right?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back