Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See picture. I got this star fish about a month ago. He moves around the tank and goes into the sand. Seems to be doing OK but I'm not sure if he has a sickness/disease or something is nibbling on him. Looks like small chunks of him are gone and the tips of a couple of his tentacles are missing. The only thing in my tank that I could think would take bits out of him are the conches or the hermit crabs. I didn't circle all the white marks on his body. Any insight is appreciate. Thank you.

Star.jpg

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your system?
Sand sifting stars tend to starve and not live long in captivity unfortunately. It does look like yours is starting to deteriorate.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your system?
Sand sifting stars tend to starve and not live long in captivity unfortunately. It does look like yours is starting to deteriorate.
2 years old. Lots of food in the sand as I don't vacuum. Some of the "holes" seem to be healing over. Not sure he is malnutritioned. Pretty sure something is "biting" the starfish.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

KeepAFish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years old. Lots of food in the sand as I don't vacuum. Some of the "holes" seem to be healing over. Not sure he is malnutritioned. Pretty sure something is "biting" the starfish.
How long have you had the starfish? How big is your tank? Do you have crabs, anemones, coral, aggressive fish, or anything in your tank you suspect?

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the starfish for about a month. The tank is a 70 gallon. I have an anemone but he is up high in the rock and the starfish hasn't climbed the rocks yet. I was think maybe the conches but not sure a starfish is on its diet. Everything else is very passive/friendly fish. Also my corals are zoanthids and sps.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
PremiumAquatics.com
Back