Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to have a lot of powerhead agitation because I have junk that collects on the water surface.

The issue is that salt creep collects on the top.

My main question is if salt creep causes more harm than it’s worth to remove the surface scum.
I think I notice that the corals look sad when the salt creep falls back in (I usually dump it back in and clean it with saltwater from the tank).

I think if I make my surface agitation calm, I would get very little salt creep, but the junk on the sides would bother me.

IMG_4919.jpeg

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that since it’s basically calcified dry salt going back in the water would be potentially harmful, so less would be better. I get quite a bit on the side points of the lid, so I just clean that regularly.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that since it’s basically calcified dry salt going back in the water would be potentially harmful, so less would be better. I get quite a bit on the side points of the lid, so I just clean that regularly.
Yes. I underestimated when I said ”sad” to describe how the corals felt.

I think I’m pretty confident that I can trace RTN/STN when I added back a lot of salt creep at one time. The next day I had tissue recession. I don’t normally get STN unless I add back a lot of salt creep.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I underestimated when I said ”sad” to describe how the corals felt.

I think I’m pretty confident that I can trace RTN/STN when I added back a lot of salt creep at one time. The next day I had tissue recession. I don’t normally get STN unless I add back a lot of salt creep.
I almost killed a gorgeous chalice this way...
But I'm also curious about your original question which I believe was about salt creep damaging the silicone on the eurobrace, correct?

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost killed a gorgeous chalice this way...
But I'm also curious about your original question which I believe was about salt creep damaging the silicone on the eurobrace, correct?
No. I didn’t say anything about damaging silicone.

I just wanted to have surface agitation to remove the surface scum, but I get salt creep build up on the eurobrace. The more salt creep buildup on the eurobrace, the more risk of it falling back in the tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I didn’t say anything about damaging silicone.

I just wanted to have surface agitation to remove the surface scum, but I get salt creep build up on the eurobrace. The more salt creep buildup on the eurobrace, the more risk of it falling back in the tank.
Oh, my mistake.

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I should limit surface agitation then.

How do I get that junk into the overflows then? It just collects on the sides on top of the powerheads.
Don’t change something big for something small. If everything is loving the strong flow at the top then taking that away could be problematic. You can just dial it down a tiny bit and clean more regularly. Don’t want to be stressing things for a non lethal pet peeve.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some salt creep from where I was cleaning the rim of my tank fall back into the tank and land on a torch coral. The torch immediately closed up completely and ended up dying.
I suspect the salt didn’t kill it, but I am convinced it didn’t help.
I now actively try not to drop any salt creep back into my tank.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t change something big for something small. If everything is loving the strong flow at the top then taking that away could be problematic.
It’s the same flow. The only difference is that the power-heads aren’t pointing at the surface.

Steve and his Animals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scum on the surface is due to the direction/pattern of your surface agitation. I usually use the returns on central overflows and point them towards the back corners of the tank, but aimed at the surface. This way, the flow carries the stuff sitting on the surface away from the sides towards the front pane of the tank, and eventually backwards from the front into the overflow.

You don't want to limit surface agitation, that's important for gas exchange, but you don't want it so turbulent that you're getting riffles and bubbles popping at the surface, flinging saltwater everywhere for creep to form.

Corals.com
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back