Is my white tail Kole tang just territorial?

TortillaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a white tail Kole tang and he’s doing pretty good so far, just pretty skittish though. I got him pretty large though at like 5-6 inches. That was on the wholesaler as they sent a massive one when we asked for 3-4 inches. Ugh. I have a royal gramma of about 2-3 inches and it behaves well; it even shoals with my clowns and yellow coris wrasse. However I do see that the gramma chose to start hanging out around the Kole tangs Lair so whenever it sees the gramma it will swim towards it and the gramma disappears. Which is weird because my mandarin wanders about the whole tank and the tang does not care. I’ve seen story’s on reef2reef about my exact situation and I could just do a re scape on my next water change to fix this right? I am worried however because I plan to add another tang soon( purple or desjardini Sailfin, can’t decide) and I’m worried that the Kole will attack the tang once I add him in a bit. I could try a mirror at the other end of the tank.

Also another thing I am thinking of. Why is the Kole tang picking at the sand+back wall and not the rocks when there is plenty of food for them to eat?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rescape when you add the new tang.

The Tang is eating the tasty algae first?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a white tail Kole tang and he’s doing pretty good so far, just pretty skittish though. I got him pretty large though at like 5-6 inches. That was on the wholesaler as they sent a massive one when we asked for 3-4 inches. Ugh. I have a royal gramma of about 2-3 inches and it behaves well; it even shoals with my clowns and yellow coris wrasse. However I do see that the gramma chose to start hanging out around the Kole tangs Lair so whenever it sees the gramma it will swim towards it and the gramma disappears. Which is weird because my mandarin wanders about the whole tank and the tang does not care. I’ve seen story’s on reef2reef about my exact situation and I could just do a re scape on my next water change to fix this right? I am worried however because I plan to add another tang soon( purple or desjardini Sailfin, can’t decide) and I’m worried that the Kole will attack the tang once I add him in a bit. I could try a mirror at the other end of the tank.

Also another thing I am thinking of. Why is the Kole tang picking at the sand+back wall and not the rocks when there is plenty of food for them to eat?
Tank size? Show a picture of your rocks, that will help

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_3001.jpeg
    IMG_3001.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 20

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60x18x22” so 100g w/20g sump.
I would skip adding a purple or sailfin (purple being aggressive and sailfin being a huge fish) and maybe go for a yellow or scopas? And maybe move the rocks to make more caves/overhangs so the gramma has more caves to choose from, just looks like there isnt many spots for them to hide in

Merge_595

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kole Tangs really dislike Sand Goby's for some reason..in 10 years never seen them aggressive towards any other fish besides minor tail slapping

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back