Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A follow up question to my fish having ich. I currently have lake Michigan water coming to my house. My friend told me it could be the reason my fish got ich. So I was wondering if it were possible to have a fish store test my water to confirm if it's safe or not? The reason I ask is because I need to do water changes frequently because I have goldfish and I can't have the carbon filter running when I have cupramine treatment in the 30 gall.

Corals.com

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is not from the fresh water source and no way to test for it. Are you using RODI water? More than likely it came from a fish

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water coming into your house has been treated and sterilized in a water treatment facility before getting to your house. You did not get ich from your tap water. unfortunately ich was on the fish already and is showing up now.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Currently a noob

Currently a noob

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water coming into your house has been treated and sterilized in a water treatment facility before getting to your house. You did not get ich from your tap water. unfortunately ich was on the fish already and is showing up now.
I see, I've had these fish for 2 years and I've never had this happen to me. So your probably right.

CLICK TO VIEW

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just ordinary tap water from lake Michigan.

So it’s untreated water not from a municipality? You really should invest in an RODI system for maintaining a reef/FOWLR tank or purchase from an LFS.

OP
OP
Currently a noob

Currently a noob

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s untreated water not from a municipality? You really should invest in an RODI system for maintaining a reef/FOWLR tank or purchase from an LFS.
It's treated water from the water facility, that's why I was confused why my friend said it was the reason ich started up my tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

fishguy242

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ich would not survive in water treated w chlorine,flouride,phosphate,un nutrualized water may have caused stress ,def use a conditioner before adding,jmo :)

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's treated water from the water facility, that's why I was confused why my friend said it was the reason ich started up my tank.

Are you using any type of conditioner?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have lake michigan water and what’s known as the best on the lake (Sheboygan). I do run through a whole house unit into an RO unit.
Having chlorine and chloromines and known cryptosporidian cases, i Would NOT use this water direct to tank
As for ic, can be :
Chilled temperature water
Stress
Velvet, not ick
Flukes

administer freshwater bath and give it a formalin dip and see from there how it looks. May need multiple formalin baths. General cure is a good version of formalin

OP
OP
Currently a noob

Currently a noob

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lake michigan water and what’s known as the best on the lake (Sheboygan). I do run through a whole house unit into an RO unit.
Having chlorine and chloromines and known cryptosporidian cases, i Would NOT use this water direct to tank
As for ic, can be :
Stress
Velvet, not ick
Flukes

administer freshwater bath and give it a formalin dip and see from there how it looks. May need multiple formalin baths. General cure is a good version of formalin
I'm hoping that just using dechlorinater will work for now before I can even afford a rod
As for ic, can be :
Stress
Velvet, not ick
Flukes

I'm hoping that just using dechlorinater will work for now before I can even afford a RODI system, I currently only have a single 30 gal fresh water tank with two goldfish that are to
Two different breeds. I only just learned what an RODI system is.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm hoping that just using dechlorinater will work for now before I can even afford a rod

I'm hoping that just using dechlorinater will work for now before I can even afford a RODI system, I currently only have a single 30 gal fresh water tank with two goldfish that are to
Many pet stores sell RO WATER. You can also fill jugs at Walmart and use that

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on the edges of the state, municipal water often comes from the Great Lakes and is treated before going to homes. In the inland parts of the state our water comes from large municipal wells and is treated before it reaches our homes. So most of us are drinking well water, wether we own the well or are on municipal.

Fishbird

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just to clarify, you're talking about a freshwater tank, right?

I honestly don't know if I would use RODI water in a freshwater tank. In a saltwater aquarium the salt mix adds all the "stuff" to the water that the animals need and the RODI water provides a completely blank canvass. It's not good for humans to drink RODI water because there is absolutely nothing other than H2O in it, so it has the potential to really mess us up on the cellular level because of osmosis (cells maintain equilibrium of the number of solutes within cells and outside of them).

I don't know of any product that you could add into RODI for a freshwater tank that would put back the solutes that your goldfish need to keep their cells from bursting.

If this doesn't make sense I can try and explain it more clearly when I'm more awake but basically I would be worried about putting a freshwater fish into 0 TDS RODI water. I would think it might be fatal over time.

(people who keep freshwater tanks, please jump in here because I'm speculating based on human biology, not koi/carp specific biology!)

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back