Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father in law bought me a NY knicks torch with 2 heads about 2 1/2 months ago for my bday… both heads had great round white flesh that encompassed the skeleton down to where the stem split for each head. A few days ago I noticed brown stringy sludge coming from the torch and the heads kind of receded. Next day torch’s we’re fully back to normal and looked great. Last night coming home from my late work shift I thought I’d glance at the tank with the lights off to see if I saw anything I normally don’t see during the day and I noticed the torch’s upper head now has kind of a V forming where the flesh was round and smooth around the stem. My question is is the torch splitting? Im relatively new to owning torch’s so idk what to look for just yet. Before anyone asks my parameters are as follows
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5ppm
Ph 8.1
Calcium 390-400

A25F8EBA-DA87-4EB6-A7D6-8B3374A5FED7.jpeg 87494171-1E0E-497C-AF25-8ACCD1B53262.jpeg

Lil'Fish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father in law bought me a NY knicks torch with 2 heads about 2 1/2 months ago for my bday… both heads had great round white flesh that encompassed the skeleton down to where the stem split for each head. A few days ago I noticed brown stringy sludge coming from the torch and the heads kind of receded. Next day torch’s we’re fully back to normal and looked great. Last night coming home from my late work shift I thought I’d glance at the tank with the lights off to see if I saw anything I normally don’t see during the day and I noticed the torch’s upper head now has kind of a V forming where the flesh was round and smooth around the stem. My question is is the torch splitting? Im relatively new to owning torch’s so idk what to look for just yet. Before anyone asks my parameters are as follows
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5ppm
Ph 8.1
Calcium 390-400

View attachment 2857080 View attachment 2857081
Not always, but normally, when torches split, they will get a big bubble in the middle.

That's been my only tale-tell sign.

what you said about the brown sludge-stuff is concerning though. IF you think you see anything else of concern, give the torch a dip tomorrow.... Look up the best torch dips for BJD.

OP
OP
D

dburke732

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not always, but normally, when torches split, they will get a big bubble in the middle.

That's been my only tale-tell sign.

what you said about the brown sludge-stuff is concerning though. IF you think you see anything else of concern, give the torch a dip tomorrow.... Look up the best torch dips for BJD.
It’s hard to explain the brown stuff may not have even been from the torch itself may have came from something else and just got caught on the tentacles, I never physically saw it coming out of it and it hasn’t happened since but the bubble in that post you showed forms where the mouth is and stays that way untill it splits or it’s just a symptom that happens for like a day and than goes away untill it splits

CLICK TO VIEW

Lil'Fish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to explain the brown stuff may not have even been from the torch itself may have came from something else and just got caught on the tentacles, I never physically saw it coming out of it and it hasn’t happened since but the bubble in that post you showed forms where the mouth is and stays that way untill it splits or it’s just a symptom that happens for like a day and than goes away untill it splits
Normally a couple weeks, and then you'll see the new mouths forming and it goes away. It'll make new mouths on the same head, before it makes a new head.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Torch SALE
Back