Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a new to me 90 rimless. I got a deal on it but it was dry when I picked it up. The guy I bought it from said he had it running for about 2 years and it’s been dry for ~1 year. My buddy brought up that he hasn’t seen any large rimless tanks with “standard sizes” (48”x18”x24” LxWxH) and the tank has a plastic rim around the bottom leading him to believe it may have been a rimmed tank at one point. I asked the seller and he said it’s a custom tank by a shop that used to make tanks in Daytona FL (that’s where I bought it) The glass is 3/8 or 10mm. It looks as if it was resealed at one point. I’m just trying to make sure it’s safe to fill up without falling apart. I didn’t have any doubts until my buddy started asking questions. I don’t have any reason to doubt the seller he is moving and looking to downsize, super nice guy and very upfront about everything.
image.jpg

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt, fill it out
side. :)

It looks sturdy from here but i will not help mop up if I am wrong.

If you have a piece of plyboard take it outside , make sure the tank is setting flat on the board and fill it where the only thing in danger if it breaks is not going to ruin your day if it gets wet.

Nutramar Foods
AS
CLICK TO VIEW

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a tank with similar dimensions out of 1/4 plate and also had a 4-6” wide center brace across the top to keep the tank from bowing. The tank still bowed, eventually the top brace separated but the tank still held water (a testament to my “superior” tank seaming skills) but eventually I upgraded to a tank with thicker walls. We were renters back then and I never had a tank failure but still got charged for ruining the carpet in one place when the elderly lady upstairs forgot she was running her bath!

You take chances with a tank, fill this one and look at how much it bows across the front pane and decide if it looks safe or not. Check your renters insurance for your deductible and see if a new tank doesn’t cost about the same as the damage will run and go from there.

All tanks bow when filled.
All tanks can fail.
I use acrylic because I don’t trust silicone but acrylic will also break if the tank walls are too thin. Ask me how I know.
birthday grandma GIF by ViralHog

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back