Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, new to r2r hopefully i posted in the right forum and whatnot. I just got this Green Mandarin a couple of days ago, looked fat from the front but now i noticed a line through his side, is that normal or a sign of him being too skinny?
Not worried about his food source in the tank, plenty of copepods and amphipods, and i’m gonna start trying to get him eating brine shrimp. Just wanna know if this is considered as skinny so i can tell if there is any improvement over time. Thanks for any responses! D32C8FA3-AA79-472E-8BB8-EA32672D1388.jpeg 03128C98-C2DB-4852-8C1B-1F2187BD9FD7.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    14.1 MB
World Wide Corals

William Mumford

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see the video it looks a little skinny in the picture. You can make a brine shrimp feeder. Similar to the one in the picture mines a little different but same idea. You fill the container with freshly hatched brine shrimp when they come to the screen at the top the mandarin will pick them off. Use only freshly hatched brine shrimp they have nutritional value adults brine lose most nutritional value.

Screenshot_20201209-073513_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

Kal93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely looks skinny. That feeder is very easy to make, but in the meantime pipetting baby brine in front of it will help (you could also try roe). If it's a mature mandarin, amphipods may be easier/better to feed than copepods in the meantime.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely looks skinny. I'd have to agree with @William Mumford one the spot feeder. I have one in my tank but I use black nylon stocking as a cover. What material are you using for the top?

I use a 150 micron screen. I have tons of different micron screens at my disposal from work.

afboundguy

acanaholic
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 150 micron screen. I have tons of different micron screens at my disposal from work.

Sweet thanks... I may have to look into that as I'm sure it would last much longer than the black nylon stockings... Although my wife laughs as the fact when I go and purchase nylon stockings and I'm sure I get some weird looks as well!

Top Shelf Aquatics

William Mumford

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet thanks... I may have to look into that as I'm sure it would last much longer than the black nylon stockings... Although my wife laughs as the fact when I go and purchase nylon stockings and I'm sure I get some weird looks as well!

Hahahahaha get some pink ones just to switch it up.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want to try it out just pay for the shipping and I will send you one. Merry Christmas.

afboundguy

acanaholic
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS
OP
OP
Rakesh3012

Rakesh3012

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, just ordered a simple brine shrimp hatchery. After 2 days, i’ve gotten him to start eating a little bit out of the dropper when i try feeding him first bite copepods, will continue and try to mix in brine shrimp then mysis. The live baby brine will be great but i wanna try to get him used to other foods as well, he’s the only fish in the tank right now so that makes things a bit easier. How long should i expect it take to start seeing those lines on his side disappear?

Avast

afboundguy

acanaholic
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, just ordered a simple brine shrimp hatchery. After 2 days, i’ve gotten him to start eating a little bit out of the dropper when i try feeding him first bite copepods, will continue and try to mix in brine shrimp then mysis. The live baby brine will be great but i wanna try to get him used to other foods as well, he’s the only fish in the tank right now so that makes things a bit easier. How long should i expect it take to start seeing those lines on his side disappear?

It could take a bit to fatten your mandarin up but the BBS will definitely help as they are nutritious right after they're born. You could also try TDO pellets for your mandarin.

Avast
OP
OP
Rakesh3012

Rakesh3012

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh so sorry for your loss. So far its been nearly a couple of weeks, seems to like the firstbite copepods i feed him from a target feeder. Also seems to be picking at some pellets i put in a bottle in the tank

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AFX
Back