Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like the fish is being aggressive at all to the nem. My clowns move a lot more than that in their nems and I have even seen some bite off peices of nem tentacles. Bubble tips can inflate and deflate for no reason, or at least no reason that I'm aware of. There doesn't look like a lot of movement in that area. My nems like enough flow that there tentacles move back and forth. Just tossing ideas out there.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above that the clown doesn't seem to be bothering it too bad. That being said, the nem is a little small for it. Just keep an eye on things. If the nem starts hiding from the clown you may have to take measures.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like the fish is being aggressive at all to the nem. My clowns move a lot more than that in their nems and I have even seen some bite off peices of nem tentacles. Bubble tips can inflate and deflate for no reason, or at least no reason that I'm aware of. There doesn't look like a lot of movement in that area. My nems like enough flow that there tentacles move back and forth. Just tossing ideas out there.
Ah I will adjust the flow so it gets some movement.

when I first bought the nem it was huge but doesn’t seem as big now. I feed it maybe twice a week with a frozen prawn

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above that the clown doesn't seem to be bothering it too bad. That being said, the nem is a little small for it. Just keep an eye on things. If the nem starts hiding from the clown you may have to take measures.
It was a lot bigger when I saw it in the shop. That’s why I got it thinking it was perfect size for the clown. Maybe I should have got an even bigger one.

will both clowns host? Only one is and won’t let any other fish near it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a bta and the clown has started hosting.

the nem was double the size it is now. Is the clown to aggressive for it?

I watched the clown today and he was really going at the nem

I attached a video.

While it is , the symbiosis can still work as long as the clown does not go bezerk

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I will adjust the flow so it gets some movement.

when I first bought the nem it was huge but doesn’t seem as big now. I feed it maybe twice a week with a frozen prawn
This could be an environmental problem rather than just the clown. How long had the tank been running? How are your parameters and lighting? Also feeding isn't necessary, if you do choose to feed, make sure it is small pieces and not large chunks.

Nutramar Foods
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered your water parameters might be the reason for the nem not being fully open?

Your other corals in the video don’t look particularly happy either.
It’s really hot at the moment, we are going through a heat wave. All parameters are fine but trying to keep the tank below 30 degrees is a struggle :(

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert for sure but this is the flow mine get. I also don't feed but used to. It's not uncommon for the female to keep the nem for herself especially a small nem assuming you have a pair?
Ah I’ll get another power head and direct it towards the nem.

I don’t think they have paired yet. But all the other fish are opposite side of tank because she loved the nem

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be an environmental problem rather than just the clown. How long had the tank been running? How are your parameters and lighting? Also feeding isn't necessary, if you do choose to feed, make sure it is small pieces and not large chunks.
The tank is 5 months old. Recent parameters are attached here:

Attachments

• 51C284C6-92E6-4862-9ECB-1D07418A155A.png
    51C284C6-92E6-4862-9ECB-1D07418A155A.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 21
World Wide Corals

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 5 months old. Recent parameters are attached here:
A new tank and high temps is going to be a likely cause of the nem not opening fully.
It’s hard with a new tank to keep the parameters stable which is a key to keeping nems I believe.

My point being, the fish and the nem look great together, I wouldn’t worry about the clown irritating the nem, I don’t think that is the issue here.

Nutramar Foods

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really hot at the moment, we are going through a heat wave. All parameters are fine but trying to keep the tank below 30 degrees is a struggle :(
Does it have a lid? I used to have to open the feeding door of my biocube and point a fan at it. I had to make a mesh cover to keep the fish from abandoning tank.

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have a lid? I used to have to open the feeding door of my biocube and point a fan at it. I had to make a mesh cover to keep the fish from abandoning tank.
No lid, I have a small fan on the tank but still just hitting 30 degrees in the tank. We’re due 40 degree heat Monday!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tunze
Back