Is my blue tang losing its mind or is this just its fish brain at work?

getwicky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working remotely today, and I couldn't help but notice my blue tang spent hours swimming up and down one of the corners of the tank. It's a 200 gallon tank with plenty of room, is this thing losing its mind? Or something more simple

, like the fish swims to the top and forgets it was already at the bottom?

BRS

LiLinka

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems to be a stress issue, could just be adjusting to the tank still. some things to note are; what size is the tank? and how many fish are in it. it most likely just needs time to adjust. or the tank might not be big enough and there is not much to keep him occupied with.

OP
OP
getwicky

getwicky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems to be a stress issue, could just be adjusting to the tank still. some things to note are; what size is the tank? and how many fish are in it. it most likely just needs time to adjust. or the tank might not be big enough and there is not much to keep him occupied with.
Thanks for the reply. It does seem like stress, but there are only 6 other fish in there currently and this thing is by far the largest. It's been in the tank for almost two years now, and I just noticed it today ... like the thing is frantically trying to escape. Very bizarre, it's a 220 gallon tank with plenty of live rock, and I've never noticed this thing act like that before.

OP
OP
getwicky

getwicky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my blue tang occasionally does this I wouldn't mind it that much. He should calm down after lights go out. it should stop within a day or 2. Keep us posted.
thanks again for your insight ... the dude seems to be much calmer today and using the whole tank. very bizarre, but apparently short-term. thank you!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back