Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is day 23 of my two little fishes stax rocks cycling in a bin using fritz turbo 900 (doing a rock swap in my tank). I haven't dosed ammonium chloride since day 9 as nitrite has been over 1 this entire time and has not dropped. It stays between 1-2. My ammonia has been testing at 0 since day 3 though. I know the bacteria can die out if starved but I also didn't want to add too much since nitrite is over 1 and it says not to add any ammonium chloride if over 1.

Should I add more ammonium chloride to keep the bacteria growing? Is the cycle complete even with nitrite at 1?

Corals.com

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is day 23 of my two little fishes stax rocks cycling in a bin using fritz turbo 900 (doing a rock swap in my tank). I haven't dosed ammonium chloride since day 9 as nitrite has been over 1 this entire time and has not dropped. It stays between 1-2. My ammonia has been testing at 0 since day 3 though. I know the bacteria can die out if starved but I also didn't want to add too much since nitrite is over 1 and it says not to add any ammonium chloride if over 1.

Should I add more ammonium chloride to keep the bacteria growing? Is the cycle complete even with nitrite at 1?
What test kit are you using? Have you checked it against another kit to verify it’s not a bad one? Also, what are nitrates showing? Those may be a better determination of cycle

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using? Have you checked it against another kit to verify it’s not a bad one? Also, what are nitrates showing? Those may be a better determination of cycle
salifert. they are good ive been using them for my display tank. Also havent tested nitrates because of the 1 nitrite will skew the nitrate results anyways :/

AS

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz Turbo 900 is claiming to contain nitryfying bacteria reducing ammonia and nitrite.
Nitrite are not toxic to marine fish, also your test may not be accurate.
I would add small dose of ammonia and test level immediately and 2-3 days after to see if you have enough bacteria converting ammonia to nitrite and nitrate. I would not test for Nitrite.
If ammonia drops to undetected levels, you're done and may introduce fish ( slowly).

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s been done a while, nitrites don’t matter in reef cycling, and no the bacteria can’t starve if they’re in water in a home. All the rules you read are from old cycling science which has been updated=can reef

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s been done a while, nitrites don’t matter in reef cycling, and no the bacteria can’t starve if they’re in water in a home. All the rules you read are from old cycling science which has been updated=can reef
okay thanks! ill have to check phosphates before i rock swap

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz Turbo 900 is claiming to contain nitryfying bacteria reducing ammonia and nitrite.
Nitrite are not toxic to marine fish, also your test may not be accurate.
I would add small dose of ammonia and test level immediately and 2-3 days after to see if you have enough bacteria converting ammonia to nitrite and nitrate. I would not test for Nitrite.
If ammonia drops to undetected levels, you're done and may introduce fish ( slowly).
my ammonia has been converting immediately so I'm assuming it's cycled. I need to check phosphates. I am rock swapping in my 20g all my rocks. So I'll have 4 fish in there immediately with corals haha

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back