Is it worth foregoing the ball valve for a cleaner plumbing layout?

AI Nero 5

VanCityReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building out a 425 G2 and Id like to add a manifold to the return. Ideally, I'd like to have a ball valve before the manifold so I can close the entire area off, without having to close the gate valves, inevitably saving me time fine-tuning the gates when re-opened.

Below is the design where I actually have the ball valve in there and a design without the gate valve. My question is, in terms of plumbing design/efficiency, is one of these layouts more advantageous than the other? Is it worth giving up the design with the ball valve?

Please let me know in the comments below!

Ball Valve
The ball valve, 1 extra 90, and the T towards the manifold between the pump and the return

Ball Valve.jpg

Union
No ball valve, 1 Less 90, and a cleaner, layout
Union.jpg

CLICK TO VIEW
Top Shelf Aquatics

V A R I A N T

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option one allows additional control of flow pressure to the display return. If you found the manifold was getting too much flow, or the display return wasn’t receiving enough, it’s a quick adjustment of the ball valve.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would fore sure go #1 the ball valve might really come in handy and resetting all those gate valves would be a real pain.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
VanCityReef

VanCityReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really see the point of the valve other than back draining your lines. It's a new bubbles at start up, but if you already have it, why not.
mainly so I can turn off the manifold without having to close all the gate valves and so I can do maintenance on the manifold without having to shut everything off

CLICK TO VIEW

BaliReefBox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
single pipe from pump, tee off manifold, then single pipe up rear of tank then tee off again to nozzles. currently you have split the returns at the pump. there are a zillion ways to do and everyone has a way they prefer...pick a way that suits your needs best

Attachments

• IMG_5899.jpg
    IMG_5899.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
VanCityReef

VanCityReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
single pipe from pump, tee off manifold, then single pipe up rear of tank then tee off again to nozzles. currently you have split the returns at the pump. there are a zillion ways to do and everyone has a way they prefer...pick a way that suits your needs best
Oh, I see what you're saying. Unfortunately, the way the 425 G2 is designed, it has two pipes running up the rear of the tank. Really appreciate you drawing that out though.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back