Is it safe to run a pump in an anaerobic zone?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to use an aquarium pump in an anaerobic environment?
I have a pump inside a filter chamber that becomes anaerobic and I was wondering if the anaerobic condition could negatively affect the pump (like corrosion).

I have modified my Donnovan's nitrate destroyer (DND) by adding a small 3w submersible dc pump inside of the tower where the water exits. I have also added plastic fluidized media (like K1) for the pump to tumble inside the DND chamber.
I have ran the pump wire through the lid of the DND so the inside of the DND is sealed except for the inlet, the outlet and the carbon dosing hole which is only open when dosing carbon into it. The inside of the DND chamber becomes anaerobic when carbon is dosed into it so the pump would operate in anaerobic condition.
This mod was mostly just for fun/experimental and I don't expect it to achieve much but I didn't think about what it might do to the pump when I put the pump inside.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no. Pumps made for saltwater environments should stand up to this. But by adding a pump, are you making the anaerobic environment less than? Just curious...
No, it would not make the anaerobic environment any less anaerobic (at least that is not the intention).
The pump is just to circulate water in the chamber. The amount of water going into and out of the DND chamber would be little. When carbon is dosed into the chamber, it would stay anaerobic despite the circulation with in the chamber.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back