Is it possible to set up a Christmas tree worm colony?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have some knowledge on the topic. The short answer is not, unless youre going to do a ton of research and then learn through MANY trials and errors. Im not sure where or how youd get through the first step of acquiring gametes without any worms to begin with.
Its been done by researchers for many years studying the larvae of the Spirobranchus genus...they obviously have access to materials and funding combined with expert knkwledge however.

With that said, Id say youre far better off buying a nice quality piece which will cost a ton of money in the country you live in. If you have any questions regarding my comment feel free to ask.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok I'll take your word for it.
I know it was a short answer - but as @livinlifeinBKK said - there are so many difficulties in doing so, you would definitely not save money. Cost seemed to be your main concern. Many of these worms like to burrow into live coral - like porites (I have not seen them otherwise - but I'm sure there are examples) - so to start you would need that - which alone is expensive. etc etc. IF you were saying your main goal is to experiment - go for it - with the understanding that it will likely be a long process.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it was a short answer - but as @livinlifeinBKK said - there are so many difficulties in doing so, you would definitely not save money. Cost seemed to be your main concern. Many of these worms like to burrow into live coral - like porites (I have not seen them otherwise - but I'm sure there are examples) - so to start you would need that - which alone is expensive. etc etc. IF you were saying your main goal is to experiment - go for it - with the understanding that it will likely be a long process.
I think OP might have been under the impression that they reproduced differently and just one or a few would multiply naturally but since theyre dioecious broadcast spawners it doesnt work like that.
I do hope they can be captive bred someday because their collection requires a lot of damage to coral colonies hundreds of years old.

@MnFish1 you're right in assuming some species settle on corals aside from Porites. Different species have preferences for different corals. I think the primary reason theyre almost always sold in the hobby on Porites is because theyre generally collected from the same area and the species in that area happens to prefer Porites.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back