Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get a UV sterilizer hooked up, and my return hose is larger than the one that needs to hook into my sterilizer.

Can I hook it up with reducers, or is it not a good idea?

I've had this for about a year and forgot why I never hooked it up lol.

World Wide Corals

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Any plumber will tell you to never use reducers. You will get the Venturi effect, basically a water traffic jam.
This is absolutely incorrect.

FWIW in context to the "venturi effect" - laminar flow increases as fluid is forced through a restriction... The conversation is not really relevant here. Friction loss is.

The question for the OP
Is this just a loop for the UV or are you trying to plumb it inline with your return?

You can reduce the pipe as much as needed - with the understanding that the net effect will usually end up reducing overall flow from the system due to friction loss. There is no damage to the pump by restricting the output.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is absolutely incorrect.

FWIW in context to the "venturi effect" - laminar flow increases as fluid is forced through a restriction... The conversation is not really relevant here. Friction loss is.

The question for the OP
Is this just a loop for the UV or are you trying to plumb it inline with your return?

You can reduce the pipe as much as needed - with the understanding that the net effect will usually end up reducing overall flow from the system due to friction loss. There is no damage to the pump by restricting the output.
I was just trying to plumb it into the return. I do have some spare pumps around I can plumb through it and put it in the return chamber.

Then I don't have to cut into my return or change any of my main plumbing.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back